Cory Monteith

Cremated

Father 'Devastated'

7/17/2013 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0715_cory_monteith_article_tmz_3
Cory Monteith
's body was cremated Tuesday in Vancouver following a private viewing with his family and girlfriend Lea Michele, TMZ has learned -- but Cory's father wasn't invited ... and he's heartbroken.

Cory's dad Joe Monteith -- who is divorced from Cory's mom Ann -- tells TMZ ... he was informed of the cremation after the fact, adding he's "totally devastated" he didn't get a chance to see Cory's body.

We're told Cory's body was released yesterday to his mom, and she decided to hold a viewing at the hospital with Lea and Cory's brother Shaun. Following the viewing, we're told Cory's mom decided to have him cremated.

Cory's dad tells us, "I always loved both my sons and am going to miss Cory very very much. I'm saddened at the fact that I couldn't have been there to see my son before he was cremated."

As for Cory's alleged heroin use ... his dad says he's "shocked."

0717_CORY_remembering_footer

Barbara

I had extreme dislike of my children's father, and years of not a penny of support. But I never would have denied him the right to say goodbye to our children.

KnuckleDragger

If you stay in touch with your children...things like this won't catch you unawares. You can be as "devastated" as you want...but it's not really about you! You're alive...your son is dead. Suck it up!

Keyser Söze

... Seriously, Ann, you're a cold-hearted woman.
Regardless how you feel about the man, he also lost his son here.

That's messed out... and yet VERY HEFFING REVEALING on why Corey ended up becoming an addict as a teen. If those two are acting this way toward each other after his death, imagine how they were when he was a kid... Yeah. Looks like a pretty terrible picture, isn't it?

Regardless of how their relationship is, parents should always act as civil as possible around their kids; otherwise, they may end up screwing them up beyond salvation.

Physical Graffiti

None of you know the relationship they had - and yes, maybe the mom is a cold hearted bitch...I don't know her and you don't either. Sometimes family cuts drug addicts/alcoholics out of their lives because it's too painful...too painful to watch them destroy themselves and so is all the drama that goes along with it. Rehab doesn't have much of a success rate but at least he tried. Was married to an addict/alcoholic for more years than I should have been so I know exactly what I'm talking about...and I hope Cory is resting in the peace that he desperately sought here...I really do.

Marvin

sucks to be corey

Shoozie

I cannot imagine what it is like to bury your child. For his mother to not invite the kids' father was horrible. Everyone should have the closure they need and desire during heartbreaking times in their lives.

kaz

Fathers have no rights compared to mothers, it is sickening.

jill

all of you condemning the mother, have you ever thought that cory wouldn't have wanted his father there. his mother would have a better idea of what his and his father's relationship was and how cory felt about him than anyone posting on this stupid site.

kimkardashisatrainwreck

That is very sad they didn't invite the father. Karma is great and will get those involved in such hurtful actions.

Pete Beau

what a slap in the face to all his friends who will never have to chance to mourn him w respect and dignity.
cold.

jen

It's so sad what has happend. But it goes to show how hard it can be to stop using and in many cases it ends up talking mg your life

billybob

but his ashes can only be scattered very carefully when the wind is right and people wearing some kind of protection...

WiddoMouse

So sad that his parents couldn't have put aside their differences for twenty minutes and both have the opportunity to view his body. RIP Cory

PJ in Texas

The complexity of addiction goes well beyond not being able to say NO to drugs. It is misunderstood by the masses and it brings out the best uneducated opinions the public can possibly come up with.

dee

If this is true, that's just hateful. His father should have been given the opportunity to say good-bye to his son.................