Cory Monteith

Cremated

Father 'Devastated'

7/17/2013 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0715_cory_monteith_article_tmz_3
Cory Monteith
's body was cremated Tuesday in Vancouver following a private viewing with his family and girlfriend Lea Michele, TMZ has learned -- but Cory's father wasn't invited ... and he's heartbroken.

Cory's dad Joe Monteith -- who is divorced from Cory's mom Ann -- tells TMZ ... he was informed of the cremation after the fact, adding he's "totally devastated" he didn't get a chance to see Cory's body.

We're told Cory's body was released yesterday to his mom, and she decided to hold a viewing at the hospital with Lea and Cory's brother Shaun. Following the viewing, we're told Cory's mom decided to have him cremated.

Cory's dad tells us, "I always loved both my sons and am going to miss Cory very very much. I'm saddened at the fact that I couldn't have been there to see my son before he was cremated."

As for Cory's alleged heroin use ... his dad says he's "shocked."

0717_CORY_remembering_footer

Areukiddingme?

Corey's interview with Parade magazine from June 24, 2011, referencing his father:

And in late 2009, he reunited with his father for the first time in 17 years. “We’d spoken maybe three or four times [during that period],” Monteith says, “and he reached out to me on Facebook. I couldn’t shut the door, so I got on a plane. He greeted me at the airport, and [he and Monteith’s stepmother] were so happy they were almost crying. It was a good time. At some point, you realize your parents are human. They make the best decisions they can with the options available to them.”

So apparently, he forgave his father.

rcytrcy01@yahoo.com

No matter how much this woman might hate her ex, she made children with him. She couldn't let him have a private viewing? What a &*^%$

mommymoon

Why would the father be shocked about his son's drug use??? I guess he wasn't close to his father for SOME reason.
Was he there for his son AFTER the divorce?

Joe Dee

If it is any consolation, with his high body alcohol content he probably burned up rather quick.

lola479

If his father was shocked by his heroin use then they must've not had a very close relationship. It seems from what is coming out now, all of Cory's friends and costars knew he was using and trying to get help.

Bambi

Lesson to all mothers and fathers, no matter what happens in your marriage always stay close to your kids. He was estranged from his kid for 17 years and now he wants a pity party? Get real.

Anthony

The wife is completely cold to not let his father say good bye to him one last time. I hold she gets the same in some way. You two may hate each other, but the kids doesn't need to be completely part of your evil ways.

Mary

Oh my God. That is simply awful - how could she do that? Does anyone know the cir***stances behind Cory's relationship (or non-relationship) with his dad? Were they in touch or close at all? Did his father walk out? Why would she not contact him?

Regardless of the relationship or the cir***stances surrounding it, those differences or whatever should have been put aside. Cory's father now has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Amber

I can understand that he was estranged from Cory for 15 plus years but that gives the mother no reason not to let him see Corys body before being cremated. My brother was estranged from our dad for years and after he died last year we still let him go see our dad before he got cremated because granted from being estranged they were family no matter what and shared the same DNA.

Zak

Bitter bitchatron. Why do women always feel that kids are their possession? My opinion is that the justice system has made them feel that way. Your thoughts?

dd

has to be more to story than that…WHY???

Marie

Whatever the issue was between his mother and father is between them, not allowing him to see his son before she cremated him speaks volume to the lack of class and character she has.

Melissa

Everyone is bashing Corys mom but if the father walked out when he was 7 and has had nothing to do with him since then I agree with what she did. Cory is her son, not his. My father was never around when I was growing up and when I was 25 he tried to become a father, well it was to late at that time. I am my mothers daughter, not his. Heaven forbid anything ever happens to my daughter, who is 7, I will not ask her fathers wishes on anything. He has never met her and has talked to her 4 times on the phone. Any man can be a father but it takes a real man to be a daddy.

another perspective

Maybe the dad did not pay child support for years; the mom was fully responsible; perhaps the dad did not visit.
Of course, if he was the Mom's full responsibility, there is no reason to add to the family pain by reaching out to someone so disengaged.

asdf

"Forgiveness is greater than vengeance; compassion more powerful than anger."