Cory Monteith

'Glee' Tried to Save Actor

from Heroin Addiction

7/17/2013 6:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0715_cory_monteith_article_tmz_1
The cast of "Glee" -- along with several producers -- knew Cory Monteith was battling a heroin addiction earlier this year and were the catalyst in his decision to go back to rehab, TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the production tell us ... it was no secret Monteith was off his game back in March -- and it became clear he was relapsing, specifically with heroin.

We're told the cast and the producers became very concerned ... and knew they had to address the issue with Cory.

Sources say ... the group sat down with Cory and had an "open conversation" with the actor -- stressing how much they cared about him and wanted him to get help.

One source tells us Cory was very receptive -- "It wasn't met with resistance ... He was always so grateful and aware of how fortunate he was."

"The decision was to best help our friend. The needs of the show fell second to his well-being."

Cory voluntarily checked into rehab at the end of March for a 30 day stint ... but despite his efforts, he couldn't defeat his demons, and last week, he died from a lethal mixture of heroin and alcohol.

He was 31.

0716_cory_monteith_remembering_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

alan

I agree it is a very sad thing that happened but why make a martyr out of him Its enuf already

Caution

Who is this tool? I've never heard of this pos...he needs to go kill himself...err wait LOL!!!!!!!

Caution

al baby

Hey the guy died doing what he loved he is a lucky dude RIP to you

dangit

He probably needed the heroin to boost his talent for the show. A lot of artists claim heroin is good for their careers.ie they write better songs etc etc

Duke Steele

Oooo, I'm wounded. Looks like all the textbooks came out to put me down. Sounds like all you students going to college on Daddy and Mommy's money are to busy going out on Thirsty Thursday to know what the real world is all about. Its time to grow up, children.This kid was a JUNKIE and he got what he had coming because of his weak mind and nothing else. Good riddance.

atgruwell86

to all those with negative comments...unless you yourself have suffered through an addiction of this magnitude then i believe your opinions are NOT welcome!!! everyone has an addiction of some sort...shopping, smoking, drinking, work....his was drugs. its unfortunate and i pray for his family and friends.

HoneyBear

Just because he died from heroin doesn't mean he or anyone deserves to die from it. No one except him knew what was going on in his mind or the demons he had. If there was one thing im sure Cory would want people to learn from his sad death is that drugs are bad news. He obviously tried numerous times to quit but obviously his demons were to strong for him. Have some compassion people he was a son, a boyfriend and peoples friend, don't you think they are suffering enough without hearing other peoples ignorant thoughts. Its a sad loss of a young life. RIP Cory, you will be missed.

Jackie

This is so sad. I super like his performances. RIP :(

joshzone90

The rehab system really failed on helping him. 30 days is not long enough. The whole system with helping addicts recover needs some major help

Just my 2 cents

As a retired teacher, I used to feel my heart break whenever one of my students had a substance abuse problem. I knew that, for many, the addiction would follow them throughout life, no matter how much they didn't want it to. I liked Cory Monteith and his performances so much—I respected his seeming ability to overcome the problems of his youth and to make something of himself. But more than that, in watching some of his interviews and observing his behavior, I admired him for his humility, for his gratitude for life's gifts, for his strong work ethic, for his efforts to help others, and for his lack of pretense. People on websites such as these should make an effort to know more about the man—for example, listen to some of his in-depth interviews—before hastily writing "just another Hollywood junkie" and similar one-size-fits-all remarks. Also, learn more about addiction and how it works. I never considered my students with substance abuse issues to have "morality" or character problems. With regard to Mr. Monteith, I have nothing but compassion for him and regret for his loss. Also, I think we need to look anew at our drug policies and treatment methods. Just my 2 cents.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5