Dennis Farina

'Law & Order' Star Dies

Blood Clot In Lung

7/22/2013 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0722_dennis_farina-2

Dennis Farina -- who starred as Det. Joe Fontana on "Law & Order" -- died today in Scottsdale, Arizona after suffering a blood clot in his lung. He was 69.

Farina is a Hollywood legend -- who appeared in tons of classic films and TV shows including "Get Shorty," "Snatch" and "Midnight Run." He also appeared in HBO's series "Luck."

Farina -- who was born in Chicago in 1944 -- is survived by his 3 adult children from his marriage to Patricia Farina. They divorced in 1980.  He also has two granddaughters and four grandsons.

Farina's rep says the actor is also survived by "the love of his life of 35 years, Marianne Cahill." It doesn't appear the two were ever married.

Before he became an actor, Farina was a cop with the Chicago Police Department from 1967 to 1985.

Story developing ...

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

Gallows

Great Natural... YOU will be missed...

Barb

Very sad.

GARYHALLENTERRTAINMENT

wonderful actor, really liked his work totally unexpected, condolences to his family, GARYHALLENTERTAINMENT

Gloria

An actor & a voice that will be sorely missed.

Carol

Rest in peace Mr. Farina. My favorite movie was That Old Feeling with Bette Milder, he will be missed :-(

Carol

I was so sadden to hear of the passing of such a great actor. My favorite movie he made with the great Bette Milder was That Old Feeling. Rest in peace Mr Farina

jwesq1@gmail.com

Dennis has done something that few of us will do. He has created a body of work as an actor that has entertained millions of other human beings and whose digital work will be around as long as the human race is. All this after serving his community for 18 years as a law enforcement officer. How many of us think about "other" possibilities in our lives. Wished he'd taken better care of himself.
RIP, Windermere, FL

jshikany

In all the articles I have written I have not yet seen mention of his best role ever on Crime Stories. It was one of the best series ever made.

Kittymcprtty

Mr. Farina, I've admired your work for many years. You will be sorely missed, we've lost another sweet, wonderful talent. God Bless you and my prayers go out to your family and all who loved you in this very sad time. You'll be the snappiest dresser up there though. RIP dear one.

DeerHunter

what a great lose of a great acter my regards to the family, RIP Dennis

D

RIP Dennis you will be missed God Speed

Dale thecrazyscotsman

Oh man this is tragic..he was a bloody legend and one of my fav "cop or mob" character in films.. will be sadly missed.. rip Dennis

Kim

So sorry to hear such sad news. I just lost my Dad suddenly and it is just awful. My condolences to the family.

Diana Allen

I loved this actor and was also impressed by his dress sense in Law & Order. He wore beautiful suits, shirts and ties, I wish other actors would do the same. I'm sad that he has passed away and my condolences to his family.

frisbee51

A wonderful actor in every genre, he was "real people" to those who knew him in a little town called New Buffalo. You might have seen him standing with his dog outside the local grocery store there, "Barney's", just blending in to the community where he kept a simple home for many years. His talent will live on in his body of work forever.

Previous 15 Comments | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11