Toni Braxton

I Lost My Songs

By Going Belly Up

7/28/2013 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0728_toni-braxton_getty
Toni Braxton
may still have a song in her heart after filing for bankruptcy, but she just lost more than 2 dozen tunes that made her famous -- because some dude bought them right out from under her ... TMZ has learned.

TMZ broke the story ... Braxton struck a deal in her bankruptcy case, in which she settled with her various debtors.  Part of the deal -- Toni could buy back 27 songs from her music catalog for $20K -- with one BIG string attached ... she could be outbid.

Enter a guy named Ross M. Klein, who doubled Toni's price and nabbed the tunes.

Among the 27 are a few hits, including "You're Making Me High," "How Many Ways," and "Always."

Perhaps her biggest hit ... "Un-Break My Heart" is not among the 27 -- but probably only because Dianne Warren wrote it ... not Toni.

Sometimes, it's hard to carry a tune in bankruptcy.

Marisa

Unbreak my heart doesn't belong to Toni. She made it famous but it was written by Diane Warren, therefore she doesn't own the rights and they can't be taken away from Toni. The songs you mentioned were either written or co-written by Toni. Intellectual property is part of bankruptcy proceedings, especially songs that made her a lot of money one time. I feel bad for her co-writers. The song, Always, was co-written with Brandy.

Liz

I don't feel sorry for her - if someone else was willing to pay more than her for the song rights, so be it. I bet the creditors she owes money to want her property to sell for as much as possible; maybe they'll get a few more cents on the dollar since she stiffed them.

Clytemnestra

And I'm supposed to feel some sympathy for her? If she wanted to hold on to her songs, she should have spent less on her lifestyle and made much better business decisions. She's lucky she's not out on the street!

Quiet

now if it could only happen to kanye and kim who are buying 750k gold toilet seats.
must think they are sadam hussein with all their gold house fixtures.. people hate that when others are starving

TMS

This is the SECOND time she has filed for bankruptcy. If she can't manage her fincances then so be it. Are we supposed to feel sorry for her or something?

JrzGrl

Don't feel bad for her one bit. She's a habitual bankruptcy filer. No better than a common thief imo. Lowlife.

3Storms

Another stupid musician who signed over ownership rights of her songs just to get a record deal. I feel no sympathy.

bbwlover1969

Boo ****in Hoo

josie

Oh Boo Hoo, how about not spending money that you don't have. Try living within your means like every one else does.Bankrupt not once but twice, someones figured out how to rort the system .And were supposed to feel sorry for you because you lost your songs.Not likely.

mddiva35

I'm going to continue to support Toni Braxton. I'm seeing her concert in St. Petersburg, FL. I hope she overcomes this situation. But I do need to hear her old songs so hopefully that guy didn't buy all her good songs.

chris

You didn't LOSE your songs you used them a collateral for the money you didn't have.

Diego

Oh, so that's what happens when you don't work for years, pay your bills, and buy everything you want with fake money? Who knew?!

jason

Another retarded musician who cant count there own money....And i say "musician" because you have to be relevant to be a celebrity...old news..broke news..and what tool is going to start the week out in bankruptcy court !

chris

She is Black so why is she Preforming in Florida? I thought she has to toe the black party line.

janet

What songs? all of 20k. So what happened to Braxton family values on BET?