Oprah Winfrey

I Can't Stand People

Who Use the N-Word

7/31/2013 10:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0731-tmz-oprahOprah Winfrey says she has no tolerance for anyone who uses the N-word around her -- no matter the color of their skin -- saying, "You cannot be my friend and use that word around me."

Oprah -- along with Forest Whitaker -- just spoke about the race issues with Parade magazine to promote their new movie "The Butler."

During the interview, Oprah was asked about the N-word -- which becomes extremely relevant in the wake of the racial comments made by her former "Color Purple" co-star Rae Dawn Chong

As we previously reported, Rae lashed out against Oprah and said she would have been a "field n**ger" back in the slave days.

Oprah never mentions Rae in the interview, but makes it clear she doesn't respect people that throw that word around.

"It shows my age, but I feel strongly about [the n-word] … I always think of the millions of people who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree."

The interview is interesting ... with Oprah claiming kids today don't know "diddly-squat" about the civil rights movement.

She also explains why she thinks Martin Luther King's dream has not been completely fulfilled.

"Are more people judged by the content of their character than by the color of their skin?  Yes.  Is everybody judged by the content of their character?  Absolutely not."

Omaha

I find it odd that she says this when she did a show with Chris Rock where she stated it was OK for African-Americans to use the term.

Virtual Insanity

I'm not a fan of the word either, but I think she underestimates this generation's youth. They strike me as politically aware and socially active as a group. My generation (late X) may have known about the Civil Right's Movement, but this generation is crossing social, ethnic, and political boundaries to realize equality. I give these kids mad props.

Joe

Really Oprah. Millions hanging from a tree. Do you realize that when you exaggerate and lie you lessen the relevance of your point?

Don

Give it a break Oprah.
I find it equally offensive and repulsive but I'm sick of them referencing it as the "N" word

I'm also sick of the Black/African American community thinking its just dandy if they use it but are offended if other than blacks use it. Its repulsive in all cultures, so who gives you a free pass..

How about we all start using the word ****** in lieu of the "n" word. Even writing it bothers me but it needs to be said in lieu of PCness.

Maybe we'll have an influence on the ghetto group that finds it ok along with the demeaning words of Bitches, Ho's and....Goolllly, they think highly of women and you buy their music and you buy their tripe.

Ya don't like the word, exclaim your offense to your ethnic group first; they're the abusers of the filth

She's baaaack

No worries Oprah, most people can't stand you either.

penguin

Guess you have to have money like her friends jay z and Beyonce to say it and not offend her

Mikey

Then Oprah don't be liking 80% of black people.

Mikey

Black people need to keep their black people problems to themselves. Everyone is sick of it already.

Meh..

So basically you hate 90% of all rappers then. Well put your money where your mouth is and start naming names.

Shelley

A few years ago I heard her on her show say that people were criticizing her because she frequently called Gayle "****** girl". Maybe she has "reformed"? I guess that means there are a lot of black folks who will no longer be her friend. And no, "millions" of people were not hanged. I doubt there were hundreds, but any is too many. Perhaps Martin Luther King's dream hasn't been fulfilled, so? The progress has been great - look to the White House. And "everyone" is never going to be included in anything. This is getting old and boring.

stoman

Opra, You are so full of it. You get Jamie Fox on your show and you drool over him. You have Jay Z on and wow- He never uses it? Then you get 50 cent on your show and there's another "I use the N word" Opra, you could have made a huge impact if you would draw the line with all your friends. Just because they're black and famous gives them no right to use the N word. Not in a song, which they make $$$$ on or just talking around their friends. If you hate the word don't use it.

CriticXtreme

I can't stand black people who continue to appear in slave related movies in the 21st century. Being in something called "The Butler" is an insult.

billybob

I ALWAYS think of the MILLIONS of people
who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree...
1. The millions she always thinks off have nothing to do with that
2. Where did they find so much trees??
3. Maybe the stupid phony bitch is just mixing things up, er Holocaust, The Color Purple, KFC , Space Invaders, who knows!

chifred

Word will always be offensive until everyone stops using it

HypocriteHater

Funny, people who use that word can't be her friend? There goes Jay Z and his wife, and all the other rappers she calls friends. How about referring to someone as a cracker or honkey, does this lose her friendship also? I say she's nothing more than another hypocrite wanting special rights not equal rights