Oprah Winfrey

I Can't Stand People

Who Use the N-Word

7/31/2013 10:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0731-tmz-oprahOprah Winfrey says she has no tolerance for anyone who uses the N-word around her -- no matter the color of their skin -- saying, "You cannot be my friend and use that word around me."

Oprah -- along with Forest Whitaker -- just spoke about the race issues with Parade magazine to promote their new movie "The Butler."

During the interview, Oprah was asked about the N-word -- which becomes extremely relevant in the wake of the racial comments made by her former "Color Purple" co-star Rae Dawn Chong

As we previously reported, Rae lashed out against Oprah and said she would have been a "field n**ger" back in the slave days.

Oprah never mentions Rae in the interview, but makes it clear she doesn't respect people that throw that word around.

"It shows my age, but I feel strongly about [the n-word] … I always think of the millions of people who heard that as their last word as they were hanging from a tree."

The interview is interesting ... with Oprah claiming kids today don't know "diddly-squat" about the civil rights movement.

She also explains why she thinks Martin Luther King's dream has not been completely fulfilled.

"Are more people judged by the content of their character than by the color of their skin?  Yes.  Is everybody judged by the content of their character?  Absolutely not."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Cool Papa

Millions? At least the big O isn't prone to hyperbole.

Mattie

Did she just wake up?

harvey is racist

TMZ is always on that racist ****.

she said "*****" . not "******"

whenever they post it they always try to make it into the -er for racist trolls to fill the comment section

Mattie

I agree though, anyone of ANY race who uses that word and slurs like it always lose respect in my eyes.

AreUCrazy

I remember an Oprah show years and years ago where Oprah and Gayle called each other the N word when they talked to each other on the phone or saw each other

Kelly

Millions? We hanged millions of blacks from trees? That is SO offensive and not true. Wow.

Debra

Great comment, Oprah!

N-word users are losers, regardless of race. Rappers begging for a record deal, bow their heads and use it. Rad Dawn Chong who can't find work, uses it. And TMZ trolls who were at the bottom of their class, use it. All losers.

river rat

While I certainly agree with her on this matter, I wonder if her disgust extends to rappers using the term in their "music"!

Nekru

P*ss off Oprah you fat N word. Funny she doesn't mention all those rappers and N words who use the N word all the time.. DISMISSED fat cow.

Toilethead

Then she can't stand the vast majority of her own race.

Jah36

Unfortunately, if you actually stop and look a the statistics, the color of one's skin and content of one's character appear to be a symbiotic relationship. Those are personal decisions that blacks make for themselves.

EMB

The N word is bad, but making a network for black people is just fine.

kitnplayn

Here. Here. Anyone who uses the N word is lower than a slug. A black person who uses the N word is lower than that. For black people to disrespect the history and pain of their ancestors is just selfish and inhumane.

Hot Chocolate

If there is no context, cause or reason why would anyone intelligent want to speak like that?

I'm going with Oprah on this one but I do think that black people still let too many things intended to aggravate them have to much power over their psychology and emotions.

I'm not exactly sure why Rae Dawn chose a public format to go there.

I want to believe I understand what she was trying to do but I'm not sure that's the way to go about it and l'm all for edgy freedom of expression. But not without a worthwhile basis.

To equate Oprahs accomplishment and sacrifice with being a slave in a field is going too far Rae Dawn. I do recall you always being outspoken.

Again, I don't see what Rae Dawn did as justified for any reasonable or useful context, cause or reason.

I can speak, my family really was slaves.

If a person is sensitive about those deep wounds, why would Rae Dawn Go there. Oprah is clearly sensitive about that and so are a lot of people, but still don't allow that word to dominate my psychology because in the 21st century you don't only have to be black to be one of those any more.

Be Good Oprah, we still love you.

Oprah, don't worry about it.

Cognitive_Shift

White people who live in the suburbs and only know culturally white black people judge african Americans as a community by their character not their skin. They watch the nightly news and see shootings in black neighborhoods and mugshots of black people. Suburban white people know not all african Americans are criminals, but when they see black people involved in serious crimes DAILY on the nightly news they can't help but judge them by their behavior.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments