« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

White Player Apologizes

for N-word Threat [Update]

7/31/2013 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

update_bar
2:54 PM PT --
The Eagles tell TMZ ... Cooper has been FINED for making the comments and "has accepted responsibility for his words and actions."

The team tells us, "This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society."

The Eagles did not specify the amount of the fine.

gray-bar-update
Philadelphia Eagles
wide receiver Riley Cooper -- who is white -- is begging for forgiveness after a video surfaced showing the 25-year-old threatening to fight "every n**ger" at a country music concert.

The video was shot June 9 during a Kenny Chesney concert in Philadelphia ... where a sleeveless Cooper turned to the camera and says, "I will jump that fence and fight every n**ger here.”

Now, after the video, which first appeared on CrossingBroad.com, began making the rounds on various websites, Cooper has released a statement saying, "I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself. I want to apologize."

"I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences.”

The Eagles had high hopes for Cooper going into the 2013 season -- and was expected to be a starter when the season kicks off in September.

It's unclear if this video will change those plans ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

DawgNasty

The guy said something very racist. Big f'n deal. He's a mediocre football player. It's not news, and he shouldn't have to apologize. Expecting athletes and celebrities to all be good people is idiotic and unrealistic. Why do black people always cry over this ****? Who cares what this guys says, and worry about more important stuff.

Hanna85

I love Country music God knows I do. I would love to experience country music live, I know it's an breath taking experience. But due to the HATE and IGNORANCE that will be there I will never have that experience to talk about with my friends and family. I'm not strong enough to endure the hate people have towards the color of my skin.. Its 2013 and its very sad that Racism is still an factor. To say "******" doesn't have it's meaning is a lie. It hurts today just like it hurt then.

scott

Please don't judge us all by these ignorant self righteous pricks...

blythe

Blacks don't appreciate you posters who keep trying oto blow this hatred off as nothing or he's just a good ole boy. Or hillbilly. It's still wrong and it still hurts.

Black Dirt Goodness

I'm so sick of having kiss black people's ass.

George King

Riley Cooper, The wide receiver for The Philadelphia Eagles certainly spewed his nazi racist feelings of hatred to an entire ethnic group. He claims he "wasn't raised that way" but that cancer infiltrated his being at some point of his maturation. The Eagles organization should go a step further and suspend this player without pay. If organizations want to take a stand against racism it is stiff actions like this which will send a strong message to perpetrators of hate. If Riley Cooper had beef with an African American security guard at Lincoln Financial Field it should have remained between the two of them. You don't indict an entire ethnicity with slurs of hatred.

CJ

The team says, "This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society."

This coming from a team that hired Michael Vick. Don't agree with his word choice, but that is worse than what Vick did? And EVERY Eagle who now ever says that word better be fired as well. Too late Eagles - you are and will remain the joke and trash of the NFL. Hope you lose every game.

SupremeGuy

Why did you mention that he's white in your headline? Racist much? If we're going to punish and shame him, then we better do it whenever a black coach/athlete does it as well.

Alex

So he says "the N word" on camera and gets fined, yet Paula Deen said it however long ago and had been dropped from everything?! That's crazy.

barrac odrama

Im a black man who will end his career. Dumb a.. it be funny for that idiot to get both leggs broken

barrac odrama

Bill you mad because my dick is bigger scared of black penis your lady's like it

Embalmer17

Remember, you have freedom of speech, just not freedom from speech. Just be prepared to face the consequences when you open your pie hole and dumb Shi* follows!

AKae95

I'm black myself and I don't know what the big fuss is about. If today in 2013 the n word still offends you, then that's just a personal problem. White will never stop saying the n word, and neither will black people. Issuing an apology isn't going to change a damn thing.

bgrowin

Seriously, do we need anymore ex-Gators in the news?

Joseph Felice Wilson

HAHAHA, Marcus Vick is why there's white racists out there. Besides the fact Marcus Vick doesn't have 1,000 dollars because he is a bum ass bitch that is nothing like his Brother in the skills department. Maybe Vick is Mr. Nice Guy and gives his Bum ass brother some money.

Isn't this the same Marcus Vick that thought there was nothing wrong with a Black 17 year old Young Male blind-siding a Hispanic man and slammed his head on the concrete?