« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

White Player Apologizes

for N-word Threat [Update]

7/31/2013 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

update_bar
2:54 PM PT --
The Eagles tell TMZ ... Cooper has been FINED for making the comments and "has accepted responsibility for his words and actions."

The team tells us, "This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society."

The Eagles did not specify the amount of the fine.

gray-bar-update
Philadelphia Eagles
wide receiver Riley Cooper -- who is white -- is begging for forgiveness after a video surfaced showing the 25-year-old threatening to fight "every n**ger" at a country music concert.

The video was shot June 9 during a Kenny Chesney concert in Philadelphia ... where a sleeveless Cooper turned to the camera and says, "I will jump that fence and fight every n**ger here.”

Now, after the video, which first appeared on CrossingBroad.com, began making the rounds on various websites, Cooper has released a statement saying, "I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself. I want to apologize."

"I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences.”

The Eagles had high hopes for Cooper going into the 2013 season -- and was expected to be a starter when the season kicks off in September.

It's unclear if this video will change those plans ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Sandi

Philadelphia Eagles are no good anyway with Vick the dog torturer/killer on that team. Boo Philadelphia Eagles and Boo Michael Vick! Read his court transcripts as to what Vick testifies to doing to theses dogs and you won't believe it. From burning the dogs while alive to hear their yelps to stabbing a pregnant female pit in the eye and spine and stomach because he didn't want the pups from her.

Sh8k

Who cares that word Refers to all colors and races

lilly

he is taking responsibility and said sorry what more can he do....you can see his hot girlfriend here

Stace

My-oh-my. Is he only coming clean because he knew the video was coming out? Don't believe the apology. I am so tired of hearing people apologizing after saying something ignorant or stupid. You are who you are. People act like there are no racists in this country. I rather know exactly how a person truly feels than be a phony. If you don't like black people...so what. We aint going no where. And what n---ers was he talking about anyway, especially at a country singer's concert.

richard

Now I am waiting for all the black players on the team to get ostracized for calling whites honky, gomer, goober, cracker, white trash, and more they they are allowed to say with impunity.

Still waiting................

What a country.

Jhane

Big deal! Dog fighting, wife beating, drug use---but this is worse???I think not. We also don't see what was said to him before mall part of video shown.

beverlywich

That in the video said it too. Who the **** is she and someone needs to kick her ass too!!!!!

Nat Turner

Non-whites see it as disgusting behavior but whites will say that everybody gets drunk and uses threats of racial violence towards other people.

joy

Unacceptable. You are a NFL player representing your team, your brand and yourself. You dont behave in a way misrepresenting the views of your brand,your team...your bread and butter. Its thats simple. We are In an age where technolofy is everywhere so you have to be on your best behavior at all times. Otherwise, reprocussions. If its offensive, in bad taste or criminal..dont do it. Soo dumb. Grow up.

clickityclack

Lil..normal everyday language here in Detroit...wat up n$%*r...its sickening..and to think obama let those swearing trappers in the white house...unreal..I say sue them for c word...sue sue sue

George King

The comments by Riley Cooper are repugnant and should not be tolerated. He should be cut from The Philadelphia Eagles. How could he remain in Philadelphia representing a city whose population is close to 70% African American?

missbigshot

What does Kenny Chesney, who resides on St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands, have to say about his comments?

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8