« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

White Player Apologizes

for N-word Threat [Update]

7/31/2013 2:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

update_bar
2:54 PM PT --
The Eagles tell TMZ ... Cooper has been FINED for making the comments and "has accepted responsibility for his words and actions."

The team tells us, "This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society."

The Eagles did not specify the amount of the fine.

gray-bar-update
Philadelphia Eagles
wide receiver Riley Cooper -- who is white -- is begging for forgiveness after a video surfaced showing the 25-year-old threatening to fight "every n**ger" at a country music concert.

The video was shot June 9 during a Kenny Chesney concert in Philadelphia ... where a sleeveless Cooper turned to the camera and says, "I will jump that fence and fight every n**ger here.”

Now, after the video, which first appeared on CrossingBroad.com, began making the rounds on various websites, Cooper has released a statement saying, "I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself. I want to apologize."

"I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences.”

The Eagles had high hopes for Cooper going into the 2013 season -- and was expected to be a starter when the season kicks off in September.

It's unclear if this video will change those plans ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

zzyzx

Ruh roh!

bjay

Don't he know that unless you are black or a rapper, creepy ass crackers no longer have freedom of speech? Ask Al or the Rev. They are so powerful they can get the President to personally come to the aid of Martin's mother. Did you see the President come to the aid of that baby shot in the face by black kids? Me neither.

terrell m

man own your racism... if your a racist then your a racist.. stop apologizing for it after getting caught.. with that being said playing in a league that's 80 percent black..... GOOD LUCK!!!! somebody is going to try and end his career.. watch out for those low hits..

me

Don't sweat it Riley, you can always get a job as a Big Brother houseguest.

tina

I think people just need to realize the word just doesn't have the same meaning it did 100 - 50 - 25 years ago. The younger generation hears this word in tv shows, movies, and just about every song on the "top 40" and rap stations. I don't use the word I don't like the word. But the evolution of the word has come. Its time to move on .

me

"I'll fight every cat in here!"~ Riley Cooper at off leash dog park

skittlesbreaker19

Who cares.. he was probably drunk

Stiletto

Nothing to apologize for...it's just a word and has nothing to do with what you do for a living. Next time just be more precise in your insults and call them "Whiny Opportunists Looking for Something to Complain About"...or WOLSCA for short.

Joao

"I AM SO SORRY FOR WHAT I SAID, I HAD NO IDEA THAT SOMEBODY WAS FILMING ME AND IT WAS GOING TO GO PUBLIC!!! PLEASE DON'T FIRE ME!!"
(meanwhile, black teammates, now you know that truth of that cracker really thinks about you")
...just saying.

MuteYourAZZ

This is BS! He shouldn't have to apologize for this crap. As soon as blacks stop saying the word for good then we should start apologizing for it. How can a word be a term of endearment for one race but then a very very bad word outside of the black race? Straight up bullsh!t if you ask me.

penguin

You don't need to apologize unless Oprah was around

Wendy A.

I am so sick of all the racism and bigotry in this country. It is NOT OK No one is better then any other human being.Once people learn that this country will be better off.He need to not only be suspended to needs to go to some sensitivity training classes.

Pet peeves

Kick his ass Seabass!!

Ninedayfall75

And we care what a sports person says, why? Most of them are buffoons. There will always be racist people, and they will say racist things. This stuff shouldn't surprise people any more.

taffy84

There were black people at the Kenny chesney concert

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments