« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Superstar

... I'm Gay

8/15/2013 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081413_darren_young_launch_wmWWE superstar Darren Young just dropped a bombshell, telling TMZ, he's gay ... and no, this isn't part of the act.

Darren was at LAX Wednesday when we asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in WWE, and Darren laughed, saying, "Absolutely. Look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy. I'm very happy."

For the record, Darren is now the first openly gay wrestler ever at WWE ... and the first headlining wrestler ever to come out while still signed to a major promotion.

Other pro wrestlers have been rumored to be gay, but that's it ... just rumors.

It will hurt his career

Bottom line: this is big, big news. For all its chauvinism and testosterone-driven bravado, coming out in WWE is tantamount to coming out in the NFL.

Of course, wrestling is a little different, particularly because of how physical it is, and how little clothing is involved -- but Darren is completely unfazed. Watch the video to hear why.

081513_darren_young_wwe_launch_v2
Current WWE Champ John Cena is already weighing in on Darren coming out. Check out his reaction here.

Young is also receiving full support from the WWE ... which says it's "proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality."

A rep for the organization adds, "We will continue to support him as a WWE Superstar.  Today, in fact, Darren will be participating in one of our Be A Star anti-bullying rallies in Los Angeles to teach children how to create positive environments for everyone regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation."

0814_darren_young_wrestling_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Joey Boots

My friend, Chris Canyon, a couple years after being let go by the WWE, came out - he ultimately committed suicide in 2010 - tragic and I miss him so much.

Tresix

I'm not surprised that Cena is sticking up for Young. I remember when Young came into the WWE as part of the Nexus and Cena made jokes about him being his illegitimate brother: "Darren Young is proof that my mother had an affair with Buckwheat!"

fabian26

Whose next Fannnn Dannn Gooo!!

ralf

Big congrats to Darren!

Derek Williams

This revelation is a great leap forward. This man's easy self assurance and confidence in himself as a good person should provide huge inspiration and comfort to LGBT teens contemplating suicide because of homophobic school bullying.

jj

why am I not surprise.A blk man thats perverted.lol

Missy

So what, is that meant to tell others to say they are heterosexual? Let's have a heterosexual pride march too. What is wrong with people, unable to keep their bedroom antics to themselves but must make it public. Who the hell cares?

lacabrera

He is just part of the other 78% of blacks that are gay

fooman2

Good luck with your choice. I cant imagine how hard this choice is for you. It could possibly be total career suicide. Let the haters hate. Hope you have a plan B.

JuanRambo

It's no longer... Million & millions of dollars... He'd be released from company within a year...

BILL

ANOTHER QUEER, TIME TO GET REID OF ALL OF THEM.

Ang f

i kinda thought there was something different about him, but i'm glad he finally came out, and this will not hurt his career. wwe will just come up with a storyline involving his coming out.

Leopold butters Stotch

He just made his next opponent uncomfortable.

wattafluk

wrestling is kinda gay anyway.

Metta Worldhate