« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Superstar

... I'm Gay

8/15/2013 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081413_darren_young_launch_wmWWE superstar Darren Young just dropped a bombshell, telling TMZ, he's gay ... and no, this isn't part of the act.

Darren was at LAX Wednesday when we asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in WWE, and Darren laughed, saying, "Absolutely. Look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy. I'm very happy."

For the record, Darren is now the first openly gay wrestler ever at WWE ... and the first headlining wrestler ever to come out while still signed to a major promotion.

Other pro wrestlers have been rumored to be gay, but that's it ... just rumors.

Bottom line: this is big, big news. For all its chauvinism and testosterone-driven bravado, coming out in WWE is tantamount to coming out in the NFL.

Of course, wrestling is a little different, particularly because of how physical it is, and how little clothing is involved -- but Darren is completely unfazed. Watch the video to hear why.

081513_darren_young_wwe_launch_v2
Current WWE Champ John Cena is already weighing in on Darren coming out. Check out his reaction here.

Young is also receiving full support from the WWE ... which says it's "proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality."

A rep for the organization adds, "We will continue to support him as a WWE Superstar.  Today, in fact, Darren will be participating in one of our Be A Star anti-bullying rallies in Los Angeles to teach children how to create positive environments for everyone regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation."

0814_darren_young_wrestling_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

GetOverYourself

"I'm gay and happy". Wow, it's obvious the kid is trying to get press. It's a joke. "I'm gay and happy". Gay means happy, dummies. I really can't blame the kid for lying about being gay. It was obviously a joke. I do blame Harvey, however, for ramming (no pun intended) his gay agenda down our throats.

NOT ELMO

WWE superstar Darren Young just dropped a bombshell, telling TMZ, He's Gay ...................WELL, HE Chose The Right Career Then, HE Gets To Touch Half Naked Muscular MEN'S BODIES All Over The Place and Gets Paid For it...............i Hear JASON COLLINS Wants To Meet YOU...

budweediii

It's king of sad that wrestling has fans over the age of 10 or so. It is, the dumbest form of entertainment known. And anyone surprised there are gay men wrestling , are crazy. Of course an acitvity that requires near gay sex , would attract a few gay guys.

orgzeurlife

Guess they are good enough to fight for our freedom overseas but disgraced for being honest to their fans? Cheesh, maybe Americans should slow procreation with ignorance this astounding.

Knightjavelin

I'm happy for him, but i think he should have kept it to himself being in the business he is in, with all these supposed to be tuff guys. However really has a problem with it, is because they are homophobic themselves. I'm not gay but have gay friends and i don't give a damm, they respect me for who i am and i respect them.

phia

should make you a hero? or is it such a big deal that you are gay?

Trufffs

Sooooo surprised that a man who spends his evenings dressed only in bikinnis, grunting while straddled by other greased up men dressed in spandex, could be gay. I mean No Way! These people need to learn to shut up about private shizzz. Only your mama and your bathhouse partners need this info

Chris_Rose

Okay look at the thumbnail image of the video above. What is that all about? It looks like his opponent is quite the cunning linguist!

Chris_Rose

Correction, he's Phil Laysheeoh!

Robert Hall

I think this is wonderful it's historic. That a Gay man could have so much success in the business. I can't help but think how different it would be if it was about 20 - 25 years ago. At that time His career probably would be over with that announcement...

Good for you Darren.

Justin

it might hurt his career kris kanyons career was damaged when he came out...now he's dead

swede

big deal. seems that everyone forgot that lesbiansiam is gay also. so, who was the first female wrestler to come out? who give a **** if he takes it in the ass, he does anyway in this so called sport.

Birdymain

No, he was nowhere close to being the first gay wrestler. Chris Kanyon was openly gay, There's another one, wish I could remember his name, but he committed suicide after quitting wrestling because of bullying because he was gay.

sorrynotsorry

Dear Darren, what shocked me is that you had to even confess to being gay. You admitting to the obvious is like a person admitting that water is wet. Either, I applaud your honesty and i hope that you don't have to deal with any harassment or retaliation based on being honest about who you. Good for you.

Moe