« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

WWE Superstar

... I'm Gay

8/15/2013 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081413_darren_young_launch_wmWWE superstar Darren Young just dropped a bombshell, telling TMZ, he's gay ... and no, this isn't part of the act.

Darren was at LAX Wednesday when we asked whether a gay wrestler could succeed in WWE, and Darren laughed, saying, "Absolutely. Look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy. I'm very happy."

For the record, Darren is now the first openly gay wrestler ever at WWE ... and the first headlining wrestler ever to come out while still signed to a major promotion.

Other pro wrestlers have been rumored to be gay, but that's it ... just rumors.

Bottom line: this is big, big news. For all its chauvinism and testosterone-driven bravado, coming out in WWE is tantamount to coming out in the NFL.

Of course, wrestling is a little different, particularly because of how physical it is, and how little clothing is involved -- but Darren is completely unfazed. Watch the video to hear why.

081513_darren_young_wwe_launch_v2
Current WWE Champ John Cena is already weighing in on Darren coming out. Check out his reaction here.

Young is also receiving full support from the WWE ... which says it's "proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality."

A rep for the organization adds, "We will continue to support him as a WWE Superstar.  Today, in fact, Darren will be participating in one of our Be A Star anti-bullying rallies in Los Angeles to teach children how to create positive environments for everyone regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation."

0814_darren_young_wrestling_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Am3223

Why can't chu people accept for people who they really are?

John

cool for him but he is not the first to come out...

Hell Pat Patterson came out in the 80's

Chris Kanyon was known to be gay back in WCW days...

victor

Hes sexy

D-INCARNATION

Now I know why Titus O'Neal makes those barking noises...

Chase

I guess we now now that TMZ is full of homophobes based on the like/hate ration. When I say homophobes I really mean closet cases. What straight men keep up with the latest celebrity gossip? Closet homosexuals who try to overcompensate by hating gay articles. It's ok my children you can be yourselves. There is plenty penis for all of you to suck on.

Don

Yeah, wait until they feel his sweaty body all over theirs, the tussling and the rustling and then they see a bulge in the levis.
He won't last
Yep, Broke Back Mountain 2

KYJurisDoctor

i'm sure most of them professional wrestlers are closeted gays!

Da_Stampede

Who's next?

Andy

Why can't I LIKE comments???????

UnclePhil2k

Good for him, I say. :) He's a great (if sorely underused) worker & owning up to who you are publicly is a gutsy and brave move. I hope WWE management won't punish him for it. Lord knows they historically seem to feel the need to control EVERY aspect/public perception of the lives of their Superstars & other employees.

Supreme_intellect

What a dumb move. Get ready to be out casted by your co-workers, friends and family.

cc05

Congrads!! I respect your honesty and the fact that you just put it out there in the same way someone would say they were going to the grocery store...

westaugust

Wouldn't be surprised if this was a staged "in the moment" interview. WWE has been big on getting stories to go viral, particularly before big PPVs. As someone who works in production, there are a lot of signs I could catch that this was staged.

This would be one of the last questions a wrestling fan/journalist would ask one half of the tag team "Prime Time Players", whose characters don't scream, "I'm a playa looking for some sexy man" LOL! That is, unless this was already planned.

This isn't critical of Darren Young or the journalist, just an observation. Talking to some in the entertainment/WWE industry, this is right in line with the new viral video campaign strategy to get more PPV buys. It works too. How many millions of people who would otherwise not know about Darren Young and SummerSlam will be paying attention. Even if 1% of 10 million people decide to buy the PPV after this story, it is a success.

And WWE has been trying to scoop up different "special interest" groups. With the gay basketball and football players coming out in the news- WWE sees an opportunity.

Just an observation, not being critical of Darren...

Truth

And the day WWE releases this mid-card wrestler, just like WWE eventually releases all mid-card wrestlers, TMZ will declare a hate crime or something. Just wait.

Ih8Taxes

Sorry, but it's no big deal anymore. Next story please.