'Free Willy' Star

Dead at 77

8/16/2013 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0816_august_schellenberg_01

August Schellenberg -- who played Jesse's Native American mentor in "Free Willy" -- has died Thursday in Texas after a long battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned.

Schellenberg's family tells TMZ ... August died peacefully surrounded by loved ones.

77-year-old Schellenberg had a long and storied career in Hollywood -- often playing Native American characters.

In fact, he was nominated for an Emmy for Best Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for his role as Chief Sitting Bull in "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee."

August appeared in all 3 "Free Willy" movies. He also appeared alongside Christian Bale and Colin Farrell in the 2005 flick, "The New World."

Story developing ...

0816_august_schellenberg_remembering_footer

franz solo

3 losers dead...in a row

lilly

so sad, here is info and pictures of the wife who is also an actress

JT

He was NOT American. He was Canadian having been born in Montreal, Canada.

lilly

here you can see pictures of his daughters, rip Mr. Schellenberg

Kabala

GODDD NOOOO!!!! Who is this?

Kayan Phoenix

Aww I'm sad =( I loved him the tv movie Geronimo from 1993 .. That guy is awesome, he will be missed!!!

Janet Becraft

He was great in Free Willy 1-3. I still remember this line in Free Willy One: Sa La Na Ayum Isis.
All the fans will miss him like all the fans will sill miss Keiko the Killer Whale.
RIP my friend.

rn506

Don't know about anyone else, but I will always remember him North Of 60! Crazy Ben Montour!

RIP! Thanks for the entertainment!

Allen Z Wang

August Warner Schellenberg Was A Best Supporting Actor And I Really Like His Best Films Such As Free Willy And He Was A Very Good Talented Actor And His Movies Are Excel
lent And Thrilling Stories And I Like Them Very Much And Surely He Is Known For His Roles And Characters In Movie
And Film And The Man August Will Be Remembered And
Adored For His Best Movies And Films! RIP.

PS August Was A Well-Respected Man For His Films