Dick Van Dyke

Pulled Out of

Flaming Vehicle

8/19/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

081913_dick_van_dyke_launch
87-year-old actor Dick Van Dyke narrowly averted disaster moments ago on an L.A. freeway -- when his Jaguar burst into flames -- but thankfully, he was pulled to safety in the nick of time.

The hero who rescued him is a guy named Jason Pennington, who tells TMZ, he was driving along the 101 when he saw a car full of smoke on the side of the road ... and an elderly man hunched over at the wheel.

Pennington tells us, he pulled up and ran over to discover Dick Van Dyke struggling inside.

081913_van_dyke_explosion_launch
Pennington says he opened the driver door and pulled the actor out of the vehicle as flames tore through the engine.

We're told Dick was slightly disoriented by the experience but did NOT need medical attention. His wife came to pick him up shortly after and brought him home.

As for the car ... it's toast.

0819_dick_van_dyke_car_melted_vine_article

Vote2012

What's an 87 year old doing driving on those California highways? Seems like a danger to everyone.

Dianna

This is my nephew that rescued him. Proud of him.

john

back on the bottle??

CECE

Jag's SUCK! I just won a lawsuit against them! They have a horrible electrical system! So glad this didn't happen to me and my family. Hope he is okay! Scary, I'm sure!

Your S&M Girlfriend

God bless him and I'm glad he's okay because that would have been a horrible way to go but an 87-year-old person really shouldn't be driving, no matter who they are.

AK

I almost bought a new Jaguar XJ a couple years ago with this same body style. Jaguar was sold to Tata and the quality was horrible. The chrome was peeling off from the knobs and handles, the wood trim had problems, I backed away. Glad I did.

Greg

Wow, so many age related comments. Yes he is 87, but he looks very healthy and sharp, why should he not drive?

Glad he is fine and wish I make it to 87 and can laugh about my Jag bursting into flames. I'll be happy with that much and the younger wife would just be a bonus. Fair play DVD.

Hugh Casey

Nooooo! An eight foot long scratch on my new Tarantula!
Let's see how many people get that!

Rosen

Well, no longer need to watch out for his maniac driving in the Ralph's supermarket in Malibu - lol. I wish you the best Mr. Van Dyke - just slow it down a tad in public parking lots : - )

luke

OH, ROB!

RMullins

Of course he'd survive this! He survived tripping over that footstool all these years!

romba

**** this old prick. Mandatory license revocation at 75, annual driving tests starting at 60.

alliekat

Wait. What??? How does this happen? Just cruising along the freeway in a 100K automobile and POOF it suddenly goes up in flames? I mean not just a smoking engine thing , the whole car is burnt to a crisp! WTH.

Paul

Man, I didn't even know Dick Van Dyke was still alive! Looks good for his ago though.

Doug

I can just see it now. He looks down for one second to dig through the glove compartment, when out of nowhere...a GIANT OTTOMAN in the middle of the road!