Lee Thompson Young

Ex-Disney Superstar Dead

Suicide

8/19/2013 2:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0819_lee_thompson_young_article_getty_2Lee Thompson Young -- who played the main character on Disney's "The Famous Jett Jackson" -- has committed suicide, TMZ has learned.  He was 29.

Young's body was discovered inside his North Hollywood home Monday with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to sources. It's unclear why Young took his own life.

Lee's publicist said, "It is with great sadness that I announce that Lee Thompson Young tragically took his own life this morning ... Lee was more than just a brilliant young actor, he was a wonderful and gentle soul who will be truly missed."

Young currently appears in the TNT show "Rizzoli & Isles" -- and we're told when he didn't show up to work Monday morning, staffers called Young's landlord to check up on the actor. That's when the landlord found him.

The executive producer of "Rizzoli & Isles" tells us, "Everyone at [the show] is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young."

She adds, "We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother."

0819_lee_thompson_young_sub_asset
Young was a rising star in Hollywood. After he made it big as a Disney star, he went on to play running back Chris Comer in the 2004 movie "Friday Night Lights."

0819_lee_thompson_young_remembering_footer_v2

KateMae

OMG. One of my favorites. So great on "Rizzoli and Isles."

vee

my heart is broken. why why why why!

Aaron

I have always seen this Actor in Many Movies . Never would guess that this would take place about him. I know that there are many unanswered questions. I wonder if he had a best and close friends that he could have talked with. Wow.. My prayers goes out to his family. Mom, stay strong I know u will never understand. I want you to know this news has definitely affected many across the world.

Ossawah

Its a damn shame...I hate to hear our talented brothas leave this world like he did. Whatever he was going through must have been some serious stuff...its sad, really is. You gotta just pray and think about what ur living and dying for today. My prayers go out to his family.

Aurora K. Hall

I work at Home with Google. It's by-far the nicest job I have had. I've made $64,000 so far this year working online and I'm a full time student. I've made such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Here is what I do, Bling6.com

robbie

It is so sad but I wish they would think of their family and people who love them first. Please talk to someone before

Defiasnt*one

Nonetheless R.I.P. Lee Young, may you find peace after death that you couldnt find here among the living, but if anyone believes in the BIBLE or GOD, our lives are not our to take and there is only one place you go when you commit suicide. I'm just being real.

Defiasnt*one

I really wish I knew what is going on in these celebrities to keep taking their own lives. I am a father of three. I work paycheck to paycheck, I know I'm on the outside looking in and I dont know their enter pain, but damn it if I havent killed myself yet why are they. I am depressed every week after I get my check and I'm broke the same day. Like I said I dont know of their enter pain, but it seems like they have it all fame, money, etc. Nothing can be that hard that you take your own life. On top of that this guy was a raising star. I loved the dude on smallville "no homo." He played the character Cybrog very well. I just dont get it. They should try living the average person life so they can how very, very good they have it. I know money and fame isnt everything, but damn it's something!!!

ICEPACKMAC

so very sad...I've only seen him on "RIZZOLI&ISLES he seemed to be a genuinely sweet & gentle soul

ICEPACKMAC

so very sad..I've watched him on RIZZOLI&ISLES he seemed to be a genuine & sweet soul

twin/strong

I am so sorry to hear about Lee he will be miss I love watch him on Rizzoli and Isles show every week
RIP Lee and our prayers with your family and friends

kicat

He will be greatly missed in one of my favorite shows. My sympathy to his family. R.I.P. Until we all meet again.

livelikeitsyourlastday

Love & prayers to his family & friends. I'm a fan & someone with a lot of experience with depression.. He wasn't only an actor but human.. $ & fame aren't the answer to all problems! If you don't have someone you love & trust unconditionally to share your darkest emotions with, no matter how many fans you have or how much money you have, the world can be too much for people to take.. famous or not! If you have those feelings, talk to someone, anyone! Don't leave your friends & family behind to try to make sense of it all! Rest in peace & know you were loved! My heart goes out to everyone affected & to all who feel taking your life is your only option.. know it is not! <3

Linda

you will be missed. I'm so sorry for your mom. I will pray for you both. Broken heart.

Brenda

That's not the answer. what ever the problem, that's not the answer