Lee Thompson Young

Ex-Disney Superstar Dead

Suicide

8/19/2013 2:55 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0819_lee_thompson_young_article_getty_2Lee Thompson Young -- who played the main character on Disney's "The Famous Jett Jackson" -- has committed suicide, TMZ has learned.  He was 29.

Young's body was discovered inside his North Hollywood home Monday with a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to sources. It's unclear why Young took his own life.

Lee's publicist said, "It is with great sadness that I announce that Lee Thompson Young tragically took his own life this morning ... Lee was more than just a brilliant young actor, he was a wonderful and gentle soul who will be truly missed."

Young currently appears in the TNT show "Rizzoli & Isles" -- and we're told when he didn't show up to work Monday morning, staffers called Young's landlord to check up on the actor. That's when the landlord found him.

The executive producer of "Rizzoli & Isles" tells us, "Everyone at [the show] is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young."

She adds, "We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother."

0819_lee_thompson_young_sub_asset
Young was a rising star in Hollywood. After he made it big as a Disney star, he went on to play running back Chris Comer in the 2004 movie "Friday Night Lights."

0819_lee_thompson_young_remembering_footer_v2

Luz

Looks like she's finally finding the truth in her heart. I hope she stays strong and that she can rebuild her life and her career. I'd hate to see her as one more casualty of this drug generation. Good for you Lindsay, proof them wrong!

ibjonnyc

Dang bud. Tomorrow might have been a brighter day.

Luz

Something is terribly wrong with my iPhone. The previous post belongs in another thread.

Luz

What is this? All these young people dying of such tragic death at such a young age! They work do hard to achieve success and when they get it, they either overdose or kill themselves! Sad.

Spanky18

Really Sad, today he may have felt better. RIP~

Rush Limbaugh

Sheez, if I were that good looking the last thing I would want to do is die.

lylmykee

wow! what could have happen or what was going on in that kids life that looked seemingly great,caused him to kill himself...so sad..

surferpl

So much pain out there

Sharon

Breaks my heart. I loved his work, esp., on Rizolli and Isles. I don't understand ... RIP in peace. Such a loss. :(

Jessy

What is up with all this suicides? Scary stuff. Stay prayed up!

Jessy

It's really sad...smh...R.I.P.!

R.Michelle

You never know what demons a person is fighting….. to think so little about life.

chioma

too bad. why take your own life. there is a solution to every problem, taking your own life was not a solution because u have created more problems for your family, well wishers, friends, society and your loved ones.

maryann kelly

SAY WHAT

do you mean russian roulette

Michelle Neal

I am so sorry. May he rest in peace. I just wish we had better treatment for such serious depression. I lost my best friend to suicide 13 years ago.
I will be praying for Lee's family.