Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

Killer Dokes

I wonder if all these gay lovers will go to the Middle East next and ask them to stop killing gay ppl in the streets.

walter17

wow! i don't believe it. with that fred, yes. but this guy. no way!

LB

Good for you!! Weight lifted off your shoulders..Live, Love,Laugh as Ellen would say...:)

Bob Thompson

No Miller, F you! and I'll take Putin over Obama any day! And your "coming out" only proves that your stupid and morally corrupt.

Jae

NOT expecting that. What a waste...but glad he took a stand.

Robert Allan

Whoa...a gay person is confronting Putin. I guess Putin is shaking in his boots? After all, radical homosexuals are so intimidating...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Bev

WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE HE'S 41!

noerany

Good for him for doing this. A classy response to an invitation he doesn't want to attend as a show of protest and solidarity to LGBT Russians. Very eloquent.

Ozzie X

He's been deflecting the fact for years. Which is his right. I just don't understand people having issues with it. It happens. He's a good person and a good actor. He is private not in your face kind. Good for you mate. Live your life.

strunz2318

The sun is hot and the sky is blue. This is not a shock.

Denny

Must be the new "in" thing to do in Hollywood to come out and say your gay. Or is this like deaths and pregnancies they come in 3. so we wont have anymore until next year.

Florencia

I mean it sucks he's gay, but at the same time I admire his decision.

olephart72

A~ they are gay because they cant make it with
the > "OPPOSITE~SEX"!
B~ being gay has been a sick fact of life since the
> "BEGINING~OF~TIME"!
C~ ITS~NOTHING~NEW!.... a behind closed
doors illness!...... KEEP IT THERE!
D~ being "MARRIED" is a piece of paper! .... kids
need a DADDY & A MOMMY...... NOT 2 DADS
or 2 MOMMIES!.....
E~ gays want recognition? > "W H Y"????..... we
can care less about their sickness!
"SHUT~THE~HELL~UP~&~GROW~UP".....
GET~A~REAL~LIFE".... its very short.

Angela

AFter reading this news my heart is broken,,,,,,,,ugggg cant believe this gorgeous sexy man is gay..............say it aint soooooooooooo :(

Florencia

I mean it totally sucks for me that he's gay, BUT i totally admire his decision.