Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

Spiritoflove76

how is that out of left field its all in the news what Russia is doing to lesbians and gays. . .

FROM HELL

DISGUSTING

Michael7307

News Flash, Idiot NOBODY cares what you think. They can make any law they want, they don't care if you go to there country or not. They are the one country that hasn't bowed to the gay agenda. And they haven't been brain washed by the liberal media, like most of America.

Reese

The only surprising thing is that he is 41.

blake

guess he likes men in uniforms then ladies in bikinis lol

Stephen Park

No offence, but prison break and then what else after? yeh, exactly. so ssshhhh

Bellaca

One of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood.

cas_21

Ever since I saw him on "Buffy" something about him seemed off to me, now I know.

Truth

Clueless idiot thinks Russia cares? They don't want gays there PERIOD! He should go to prison because there he can get BENT OVER and live happily ever after.

Farrakhan Ashy Larry

Don't wanna be mean or anything, but it seems this past week, someone is either dead or gay.

jess

he came out a long time ago. when prison break was still on the air

AngeredByIt

DEAR TMZ - PLEASE STOP PUBLISHING STORIES ABOUT THE LAWS IN RUSSIA THAT ARE FILLED WITH DISINFORMATION.

It is ok to be openly gay in Russia, it is NOT a crime.

The legislation in place only has to deal with PROPAGANDA regarding sexuality to MINORS. RUSSIA DOES NOT HAVE LAWS THAT PROHIBIT SEXUALITY - they only have laws prohibiting PROPAGANDA to MINORS regarding sexuality - AND GOOD FOR THEM! Many people are openly gay in Russia, they have an active LGBT community and this entire thing has been blown out of proportion by people who have heard the INCORRECT STORY by outlets such as this. IT IS DISGUSTING coming from countries that support a whole range of 'inhumane' agendas.

There are over 80 countries in the world where homosexuality IS A CRIME and some PUNISH BY DEATH. RUSSIA IS NOT ONE.

Moto

You should have just broke through my front door and slapped me right in the face, it would have hurt less. :)

kitnplayn

Are there any men in America who are NOT gay? And why do you have to announce your sexual preference in public? Putin doesn't care who you diddle, he just doesn't want innocent children corrupted by flamboyant misfits like they are in the major American sewers... I mean cities.

karen

I never knew that, hes HOT!!!