Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

Audrey

You know what...screw all that...When is this guy gonna play Eminem in a movie?! It's obvious he should!

Mona

I had a feeling he might be gay when I saw him in Buffy in the late 90's, i saw the episode again recently and thought the same thing again...my gaydar is pretty good I think.

Michael Vincent

The irony of this is that he is now 40ish and JUST comming out... is that because he lives in Russia, China, UAE? No because he lives in the US.

Bo

So happy for WM.... I like it when the masculine dudes come out.

Spanky

Whattttt????

Mojo

I suspected he was gay when i saw him in Buffy The Vampire Slayer season 2.

The tone of a voice says it all.

Tyler

I thought he was already open about it years ago. I guess now the news has announced it again.

Nicole

Did you really have to put up a picture of Putin's moobs? Nobody needs to see that.

Ih8Taxes

OK, we now know that half the world is gay. Can TMZ now go back to showing hot chicks in bikinis.

MR

Who cares get rid of these damn ***gots. I don't know how this stupid trend caught on, but no it's not ok to be gay. God made man and woman. In animals they have male and female all to continue making life. Gay people is there own sickness to do the opposite and get off on the same sex.

greenWithEnvy

I knew it! I just knew it!..

MR

Truth

DUDE GET OVER YOURSELF... SOMEHOW I DONT THINK PUTIN GIVES A FLYING F*CK!! #TRUTH!!

David

I think it's great that he felt so strongly about the issue that he came out this way. It's no one's business, and it takes some guts to say so even in 2013. He didn't come out because it was a slow news day, or he wanted to make an announcement, he came out because he was invited to a film festival and felt he couldn't go in good conscience. Much respect...

Nfsgirl

I just shed a tear. I love him. I loved lance bass in hs too. Scary what that says of my taste in men.