Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

Socalpimp

any straights left?

tiffany helena

why does it have to be to get in the "lime light" or "who cares"....TMZ made news out of kayne smiling how about who gives a **** about that? I think it was great what he did...and him being gay years ago OH WHAAA! ...sucks for me bc I had such a shot, right??
go dude, mad respect!

Zoe

I'm sure this is a devastating blow to Russia - kinda like Obama refusing to meet with Putin over Snowden. Hahaha!!! The Politburo will be up all night fretting over the gay snub.

Da Bonge

Who's e stickin it to went worth!

cate

He's sooo hot. That makes me sad

CrystalT

I've heard this before but what is most shocking to me is that this man who doesn't look a day over 30 is 41...

ProudMexicanAmericanWoman

Lord have mercy..smh this worlds going to hell in a hand-basket.. is that the saying?

Tammi

Noooo!!!! He so damn fine.

Livvie

Is the a surprise to anyone who isn't stupid?

tgrfan42069

its funny the hollywood elite are used to getting their way over here.due to threats of no funding for political campaigns they have no baring on another country though.and it is eating them up inside.

billy pootons

1 - putin doesnt know who you are or care
2 - with a name like wentworth... you never had a chance

Randomizer

That's all we need, more fudge packers. With a side of muff bumpers.

Jericho Morton

Maybe the Russians feel disgusted by the activity of homosexuals? Perhaps they are concerned about the spread of HIV? Even if there isn't a good reason, why should they have to 'like' it? Isn't that what a free world is about? They have elections, they could vote Putin out and change for representatives that are homosexual supporters. If they haven't, isn't that democracy?

joecrabs

Big deal. Everyone is gay now. It's not a big deal anymore. Everywhere you look, someone is coming out as queer. What will the next press grab be? Banging mules?

jerryball

Good for you Wentworth Baby. I watched every episode of "Prison Break" and what a "bad" dude you are, I never suspected you were of the "artistic and nervous" set. Sure gonna break a lot of lady's hearts because you are one sex-appeal dude. Turning down the International Film Festival for an appearance in Saint Petersburg, Russia, in protest and opposition to the Russian 2 century return to the 19th century lack of human rights for gays. Maybe a buff manly dude like you admitting who you are will give courage to Hollywood's biggest stars to also admit to the world who they really are. Most people mistakingly think gays are little screaming fairies while in reality, most gay men are very butch and masculine and would deck someone taking them on.