Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

disinter

By this logic all reporters should boycott the U.S.

Kabala

Good for him! Russia needs to be slapped down.

buzz kill

I am heading for Russia, at least one country has some common sense.

Kabala

Putin needs a Wonderbra...

Obvious justice

Another attractive man taken from us females who love him no matter what

chris87654

this guy is completely out of control. They better post extra guards or he might hit Putin with his purse.

elpablo

I'm not sure he stuck to Putin so much as he stuck it in another man's as$, like a pervert. What TMZ staff need to realize is that had the people holding the event in Russia known for a fact that he was a person who engages in homosexual behavior, they would have never invited him in the first place. So he didn't really zing anyone here by announcing he's mentally unstable. Obviously the guy is sick and needs help. Hopefully he seeks it out because anyone who engages is a behavior that is so clearly unnatural, is disturbed to the nth degree!

olephart72

0MG, im impressed...."N O T"!
a MACHO FRUGET SHOOTING OFF PEENNIISS BREATH DOES NOTHIN FER ME!
drop dead putrid twitt!

Truth

Wentworth has PENlS BREATH!

olephart72

YO "VALDI"?....
"B E W A R E".... WENTEDWORTH WOOSIE TWITT HAS THREATENED YOU!

HIS PURSE IS A REGISTERED WEAPON YOU SEE!

BellaJ

Awesome!!!

buzz kill

At least Putin is a real man in control of his country, not like the New World Order puppets that occupy our White House.

Shotokan500

I just figured out I'm gay and I'm not going either lmao

JJ310

"where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly." And yet, Wentworth, you DENIED being gay when asked while you were starring on Prison Break. So exactly how out and living and loving openly have you been?I'm a gay man, and I've been out since I was 18 (13 years ago). America was not and is still not perfect. But you do not get to play the card of a gay man refusing to support a country that limits the rights of LGBT citizens when you kept yourself in the closet at the height of your popularity (I'm assuming, because you thought or were told it would preserve said popularity). And yes, it is EVERY person's right to keep their private life private. I don't believe celebrities or laymen need to announce their gender preference. It just irritates me to no end when a celebrity denies being gay and then years later admits to it when it suites them to do so... in this case when they can make a "statement." I'm happy he can admit he's gay to the world at large, but I have no respect for people who deny their gender preference only to recant it in the media when it's opportune to do so. Hope it lands you some great magazine spreads and movies... which is what I'm sure your PR team is gunning for.

Azone

It's really sad the comments on here. We the USA have always, whether we want to or not accept people. It's something I'm proud of. I've always thought we were kind and accepting. To hear my people from the USA say such vitriol is disgusting. It's sad that people from Russia write in cause they have to. So sad. You lost 2 decades with that pompass dictator. I find it sad that Americans might agree. I'm as straight and narrow as they come. I feel sad that people hate one another over something so simple. God teaches us to love. Even if you don't agree. Would you love life or would you hate it. Love comes in all ways. Why say that we have lost our morals, when we are gaining them. God is understanding, truth, patience, and a lot of frustration by what you are trying to comprehend. Why hate? Why hate? Why not accept every person for who they are? Add, autism, cancer, diabetics, why hate? We all have a heart and blood! Accept it!