Wentworth Miller

I'm Gay

Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

8/22/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0821_wentworth_miller_article_getty
"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

0821-vladimir-putin-not-gay-tmz

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."

082113_prison_break_trailer_small_launch
082113_miller_popular_small_launch

0821_out_in_hollywood_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

WD

Wow - kinda outta left field.....

abby

Stupid, who cares. He's a nobody and Russia will not change anything for him!

mora

oh wow.... I didn't expect this. I was aware of the rumors of him being gay, but I didn't believe them to be true. My gaydar usually functions really well- this one just blew my mind.

Cartman

And not even Russia cares.

RC

I remember at the height of Prison Break, one snarky online gossip columnist used to hint (heavily) about Wentworth Miller. His announcement doesn't surprise me, but the fact that he's been away from the limelight for so long is surprising.

clevelandsfinest

I'm heartbroken :'(

Fibb

Butt Slamming Gay ***GOTS are everywhere these days, lock all your doors and windows..

Lisa

My imaginary love affair with him will continue as usual. I'll just pretend I don't know. ;-)

Jackie

I'm not shocked that he's gay...I'm shocked that he's 41!!!!

rosemaryxoxo

Wow didn't see this one coming

amf

I think its amazing what hes doing and an inspiration to others

zzyzx

Wow, would have never expected a guy named Wentworth to be gay!

DR SICK

HO f**kng RAY!! I always thought he was too cute to be straight. Too bad ladies, another missed opportunity at the hotties.

Spiritoflove76

Good for him, I'm glad that he stood up to them and came out, that's awesome so proud. I'm a big LBGT supporter and am happy to see when people join in and helps!!!

duanegholston

more shocked that hes 41 years old and he waited so long to make it official. its 2013, what are closeted celebs still afraid of???

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments