Marvin Gaye's Son

You Can Bet We're Gonna Sue Over 'Blurred Lines'

8/22/2013 12:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

082113_marvin_gaye_III_tmz_live_launch_v3
Marvin Gaye
's son is out for blood in his war with Robin Thicke, telling "TMZ Live" he resents Thicke's lawsuit against the Gaye estate over "Blurred Lines" ... and is strongly insinuating he plans to respond with legal action of his own.

Marvin Gaye III dropped us a line Wednesday, and he's not happy ... basically saying Thicke has disrespected the Gaye family by shamelessly lifting his father's famous tunes for the hit song (plus many other Thicke tracks).

As you know, Thicke has filed a lawsuit against the Gaye estate, asking a judge to head off any legal action from the Gayes by ruling "Blurred Lines" does NOT violate Marvin's copyrights.

Marvin III says Thicke's lawsuit is a total slap in the face.

Marvin III hedged when we asked flat out if he plans to sue Thicke for copyright infringement ... but the message was clear.

082213_robin_vs_marvin_gaye_launch_v2

Macklestar

Why does TMZ reports that it Robin Thicke when Pharell and T.I are also litigants? Is it because Robin is White and it would not have the same appeal if you did. Also the example that you chose to prove your point that Robin has always been stealing is from his Sex Therapy album and he did credit Marvin Gaye as one of the writers. I dot think he sample'' Got to give it up" its only a similier feel. Good luck to you Robin!

BigMunKnee

One of my FAVORITE "things", is when someone (TERRIBLY!!) attempts to sound overly-articulate/intelligent when they're speaking, BUT,...because of the obvious and simple fact that they are NOT,...in the process, sound ABSOLUTELY and TRULY STUPID!!!

anya2u

wow I can certainly hear the similarities between the two. But, because Robin may have picked up on Marvin's style does not mean he owes the family a thing.

SOOO WHAT

Well there is a lot of sampling going on out there to so I hope that Berry will loan them some cash for attorneys to sue all those artist who sample Marvin’s songs too. The best thing Marvin III can do is use that that money he is going to waste on suing everyone who samples or uses Marvin SR's music and spend it on his Kidney dialysis and his own record he claims he is working on cuz personally I don’t think this guy has any talent whatsoever I have never heard anything from him until now has anyone ever heard any music by him???? I REST MY CASE

nayrod64

Show me the money!

MissKnownUnknown

I smell a copy cat

MrsK

The first time I heard this song I said..this sounds just like Marvin Gaye...."Got to give it up"...the ONLY people saying that they are out for MONEY only have OBVIOUSLY never heard the original song...it's that simple.

Greg

riducous lawsuit...those song song nothing alike...other than being love ballads

BabaBooey

THicke has been looking for a hit for years. He had to ripoff the greatest to finally get there. I hope the Gaye family gets all the profits and more.

james

these kids all over robin thicke are just that kids. nothing from this generation is new everything is a copy of the original and i was born in 1993. robin thicke is disrespectful for blatantly ripping off a legend like marvin then counter suing. robin thicke was falling off musically and he took a thirty year old tune and tried to pass it off as his own. i hope marvin's family wins

dd

It's not Marvins song this is a waste of time.

Mental

Marvin Gaye's family has all the rights to sue Robin Thicke for stealing the same music composition of their father's music. Any one of us would do the same thing under those conditions dead or alive. Marvin wrote and produced most of his music and to have someone just blatantly use the same notes without permission is theft. Shame on you Robin for not respecting Marvin Gaye's music and not giving credit where it's due. Anyone that has music knowledge (i.e. notes, octaves, range, scales, etc.) would know that Pharell used the same notes, but only went down one note on the composition...it's still theft.

Blackscab

Umm, what is with that couch?! Yikes!

mick

Considering Thicke considers himself to be the next King of Soul and goes on and on about Marvin Gaye all I can say is GOOD. Sue the crap out of that copy cat.

DR SICK

Damn, this blatant theft. I had thought it was Blurred Lines vs Sexual Healing I'd heard about and didn't see the connection. But these three are so obvious. How sad. It would have been better had Robin done covers.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments