Marvin Gaye's Son

You Can Bet We're Gonna Sue Over 'Blurred Lines'

8/22/2013 12:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

082113_marvin_gaye_III_tmz_live_launch_v3
Marvin Gaye
's son is out for blood in his war with Robin Thicke, telling "TMZ Live" he resents Thicke's lawsuit against the Gaye estate over "Blurred Lines" ... and is strongly insinuating he plans to respond with legal action of his own.

Marvin Gaye III dropped us a line Wednesday, and he's not happy ... basically saying Thicke has disrespected the Gaye family by shamelessly lifting his father's famous tunes for the hit song (plus many other Thicke tracks).

As you know, Thicke has filed a lawsuit against the Gaye estate, asking a judge to head off any legal action from the Gayes by ruling "Blurred Lines" does NOT violate Marvin's copyrights.

Marvin III says Thicke's lawsuit is a total slap in the face.

Marvin III hedged when we asked flat out if he plans to sue Thicke for copyright infringement ... but the message was clear.

082213_robin_vs_marvin_gaye_launch_v2

She-dub

Music is universal....Music frees the soul. Out of all the billions of tunes, there are far too many ways to combine and utilize them for all of our listening pleasure. I know I'm not the only one who hears "Love on a Two-Way Street" in the beginning of the recently-popular song, "New York"! The sounds are ubiquitous. On the other hand, I do suppose that it all comes down to dollars & cents.

She-dub

Music is universal....Music frees the soul. Out of all the billions of tunes, there are far too many ways to combine and utilize them for all of our listening pleasure. I know I'm not the only one who hears "Love on a Two-Way Street" in the beginning of the popular song "New York"! The sounds are ubiquitous. On the other hand, I do suppose that it all comes down to dollars & cents.

lafreak

Serious loser, get a job. You probably don't have the $200 to file a law suit! You should be happy someone is keeping your fathers memory alive.....sounds like your just looking to cash in on that. (Note: he called TMZ...just saying).

lafreak

Oh, almost forgot. Faux Leopard sofa? Really? Classy....not

purejuice

get a job, slob.

lookItsMegRyan

I never noticed how much it sounded like Got to give it Up until I heard Robin Thicke himself say he made the song over the groove of that song.

carol

Marvins Gaye's son should be telling this guy, hey "lets get it on", because Robin Thicke so obvious stole alot from the one and only Mr. Marvin Gaye!!!

MARMARCELLOS

Let me just say.... I am a die-hard Marvin Gaye fan. Always have been and always will be. Personally, I love blurred lines but it's no doubt Robin is a copycat of one of the greatest musician that ever made great music. Marvin was sexy and lyrically talented. I don't see Robin coming close to that. As for his son doing what he said..... Well personally, I feel he has every right.

Gleauxing

I love both Robin Thicke and Marvin Gaye's music, but this one is fishy. I think the children are out for money. Did your father leave you enough? He wrote "Here My Dear' to get his ex-wife off his back financially, and killed by your own Grandfather.

Can he rest in peace without you trying to make a profit off of his legacy?? Clearly, the song may be inspired, but not ripped off. If that was the case most artists would be suing over "inspiration"....let's be real, you they just want money

CathyS54

I heard Robyn Thicke perform the song on "The View" and for once could understand the lyrics. It has the R&B feell to it but it doesn't have those irritating girls "yelping" all the time! I don't think they will win.

Shawndyl Hughes

Yeah, Robin Thicke ripped all those songs from Marvin Gaye's songs. It would have been nice if Robin had of asked the estate of Marvin Gaye if he could sample those songs.

Macklestar

i hope Robin wins!

TonyTone

Wow Robin Thicke has snubbed Marvin Gayes music on all of his hit records, he knows he's wrong! Marvin is a legend how dare Robin not pay up.

David

Marvin Gaye's money got you a white woman so what are you complaining about. You are a nobody and would be on skid row if it wasn't for your father's money.

kaynewestisagayfish

Holy **** has anyone ever heard of the website sounds like. Artist have been doing this for years. Sadly no one seems be original anymore these days.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments