« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

I'm a Vicious Alcoholic ...

On the Verge of Dying

8/24/2013 12:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Tyson
has not been living the sober life ... not by a longshot ... in fact he says his alcohol addiction is so dire he's on the "verge of dying."

Tyson dropped the bombshell at a press conference Friday in New York ... telling reporters he's been lying to everyone for years about staying sober.

He confessed, "I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now. I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic."

Tyson -- who has been in and out of rehab over 3 times -- said he's been drug and alcohol free for 6 days now and never wants to drink again.

The 47-year-old former champ was in New York to promote his upcoming fight card with Iron Mike Productions.

A rep for Mike tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately Mike has made some mistakes recently but fortunately he now recognizes them and is willing to fight his way back to the road of recovery."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

EastCoastChopper

Iron Mike has always had this raw honesty when he speaks...even back in his younger days...Dude just says it...100% legit.

I knew of his drama when he was in Scottsdale and he can party til the cows come home...But it is isatiable form of alcoholism.

Sounds strange, but magic mushrooms (philicybin) can actually remove the cravings for alcohol for about 3-4 weeks and can be used as a treatment to get these kinds of alcoholics sober... Not to be tried without someone who knows what they're doing...and in a safe place.

SSinOC

Quit the booze altogether and things will turn around. Good luck!

Matt

Hope he gets better. Dude has been pretty darn cool over the last few years

Stacie

Wish him all the best. I hope he is able to live and maintain a sober life Also that he knows and realizes to be forgiven you have to want to change and prove you can be trusted. As well as put in the work....Practice what you preach :)

Stacie

Lynn317

His story is a sad one, however ...
The real damage alcoholics and addicts leave in their path, is the trail of ****tered lives. The addict’s spouse, parents, friends and children who, against their will, were swept up in the horrifying insanity of lies, mood swings, blaming and denial of the addict’s never ending reckless, irrational mind games.
In an often futile attempt to save addicts from themselves, people close to them lose their own productive focus in life ... and are pulled into the dark black hole of the addict’s delusional world of destruction. It is a dangerous and deadly affliction ... not only for the addict, but for everyone they have ever been close to.
Sadly, the ability to end this very self-serving, destructive disorder ... lies only in the hands of the addict. Everyone else is helpless to change its course, and must focus on protecting themselves so that they do not become yet another victim of addiction’s collateral damage.

static

I just can't muster any sympathy for a guy who had an opportunity to do great things and just pissed it all away.

abby

I wish you the best in your endeavor to stay sober.

HRH Prince Michael

Firstly, I commend Mr. Tyson for his determination in this battle.
Indeed, the "pleasures of The Flesh" are both very deceptive and powerful, and acknowledging this important factor, is imperitive.
Identifying, the physcial, psycological, and emotional "triggers" are equally important.
As in Boxing, a slip - is not a fall.
Form a partnership with The Most Divine Creator:
If your brand-new car is defective and/or broken,
who know's the best way to repair it?

It's Mr. Tyson's biggest battle, and one thing is sure:
NEVER, go toe-to-toe with Mike Tyson.
May God bless you!

Metta Worldhate

Maybe that's karma for all the raping. You don't deserve to be happy.

Jeoff

I will say this. This took more GUTS ever for this man to say that. I had to do that at 49 and it was the best thing I ever did. When you are told you are killing yourself and you know you are. You realized how much you want to live. And you do what ever it takes to do it. I didn't do AA or any religion or any other method. I quit Cold Turkey.When you have a doctor tell you you have stage 3 liver and kidney disease and they call hospice to talk to you. You want to live. I Thank GOD! That he has given me a 2nd chance at living the rest of my 2nd life. Good for you Mike Tyson Ii takes a REAL Man to come to the conclusion that you want to quit and live again. He had all the money and fame in the world. But he understands now that living a life without Alcohol is the best and 1st step.

joke

Ill drink to that

NightOwl

I hope and pray it works for him. It's a struggle, but it can get better, I know.

AdorkableFatty

I call bs!

NightOwl

I hope and pray he finds what he needs. It can get better, I know.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments