« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

I'm a Vicious Alcoholic ...

On the Verge of Dying

8/24/2013 12:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Tyson
has not been living the sober life ... not by a longshot ... in fact he says his alcohol addiction is so dire he's on the "verge of dying."

Tyson dropped the bombshell at a press conference Friday in New York ... telling reporters he's been lying to everyone for years about staying sober.

He confessed, "I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now. I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic."

Tyson -- who has been in and out of rehab over 3 times -- said he's been drug and alcohol free for 6 days now and never wants to drink again.

The 47-year-old former champ was in New York to promote his upcoming fight card with Iron Mike Productions.

A rep for Mike tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately Mike has made some mistakes recently but fortunately he now recognizes them and is willing to fight his way back to the road of recovery."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Don

Thank you TMZ for posting something positive about black men for our youth to see. You can do it Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVELYMAMASS22

I smell BULL**** lol...

Tasha

It takes a strong person to fight the fear of admitting those things to the public. Hats off to him for that.

Artist

I don't know what it is about this guy, but I've always liked him. He can be the meanest mofo on the face of the earth,, but somehow comes across as a man with a good sole who's been used his whole life by the likes of Don Kind to Robbin (ex-wife) whatsherface.

SammyG

He not THAT close to dying or he wouldn't be able to even give a press conference. Years ago I was a "vicious alcoholic" and I had to detox for 2 weeks (hulucinations non-stop) and wasn't healthy enough to even walk for 3 months and 1 year till I started feeling like myself again.
So it sounds like Mike is a man baby who can't hold his liquor. Totally kidding - of course alcholism is NO JOKE and in all serious I wish him the best in his recovery. Addiction is a hell of a beast.

mothermew

It's a publicity stunt to get media press

rosa

Good luck Mike. The 1st step is to admit you have a problem. I hope you can surrender and find peace in sober life.

cementmixer

Let him die.he's album.

carbin

This is by far the best response I've ever heard from Mike Tyson. Whether inadvertently or on purpose, he's made himself an easy target over the years (in many ways), and I hope the people close to him finally have his best interests at heart. I really feel for him and wish him the inner strength to make it. This guy is strong, but even the strongest can be brought to their knees by inner demons. Best to Mike in everything.

Lurker

Good luck Mike. I hope you achieve sobriety and be an example for others.

Larry

Isnt he the one that ate another person's ear during a boxing match?

purejuice

good luck, mike. age 50 is just about when even an iron man has got to quit the life.

jarrollin

Good luck Mike Tyson

Truth

PATHETIC!! WHY DO PEEPS APPLAUD DRUG ADDICTS? WHAT ABOUT THE BILLIONS WHO NEVER SMOKED OR DID DRUGS IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES?? WHERE'S THEIR APPLAUSE??? DUDE STILL ACTS GHETTO HOOD RAT ALL THESE YRS. DOUCHE STILL CANT SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH.WONDER WHAT HIS LIVER SCAN LOOKS LIKE... GIVE THE HOOD RAT 3 YRS MAX. #RIP #TRUTH!!

Brent

Give the guy a break. He was on the streets not educated but he had a gift. He could fight. He became the best fighter I've ever seen and people took advantage of him. people who knew he wasn't very smart and had problems. Ya he made a lot of mistakes and he paid for those mistakes. Like none of you haters have ever made mistakes. Atleast he is man enough to admit his mistakes and want to be a better man. Don King can rot in hell.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments