« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

I'm a Vicious Alcoholic ...

On the Verge of Dying

8/24/2013 12:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Tyson
has not been living the sober life ... not by a longshot ... in fact he says his alcohol addiction is so dire he's on the "verge of dying."

Tyson dropped the bombshell at a press conference Friday in New York ... telling reporters he's been lying to everyone for years about staying sober.

He confessed, "I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now. I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic."

Tyson -- who has been in and out of rehab over 3 times -- said he's been drug and alcohol free for 6 days now and never wants to drink again.

The 47-year-old former champ was in New York to promote his upcoming fight card with Iron Mike Productions.

A rep for Mike tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately Mike has made some mistakes recently but fortunately he now recognizes them and is willing to fight his way back to the road of recovery."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

senior citizen

Yet another reason A&E should not have dumped Intervention. Seriously. A lot of good stories from the known to the unknown were left untold.

kimkardashisatrainwreck

Love you sweet Mike. Praying for you buddy.

Veronica

....you should leave the lime light and try Ridgeview Institute in Marietta Ga, great place to redefine your life for a new start.....I did!!

TheMoniq64

I pray and wish him well,he has endured so much tragedy in his life(death of his young daughter few years ago)and the constant struggles dealing with his personal demons.Get well Mike.

mrharrybawls2012

I am shocked by the people here defending this complete thug and menace to society. What has our world come to when people are willing to make excuses OVERand OVER again for a total creep like Mike Tyson?? Do you fools realize that the woman he raped needed reconstructive surgery? That he was convicted in a court of law for brutally raping that young lady? That Mike Tyson has admitted to beating up and mugging innocent people all his life? That he likes seeing "woman bleed?" Do any of you read the newspaper or books? Mike Tyson was just a bully and once he tasted his own blood he cowered in the ring like a Loser, refusing to get off the mat. He never made any sense when he gave interviews (I suspect he is mildly retarded). But we are all responsible for own actions and Tyson likes to blame others for his despicable behaviour. If you clowns want to hero-worship look at Muhammad Ali. Now that is a true hero that carried himself with class -inside and outside the ring. Even Mike Tyson doesn't like himself or his "fans" (he admitted this in an interview). He is and always will be : A BUM.

Cherie

It's a tough road, but it can be done. Keep trying!!!!!!!!! Been there , done that!

Alpha Kenny Juan

I'm not making any excuses for Mike Tyson's past actions, but I have to say that I feel real sympathy for him. He seems sincere when he discusses his demons - here and in his do***entary - and it's rare to find someone so famous who lays it all out for the world to see. I admire him for that.

Francie

I am interested in the cult of celebrity but I do not hold many in high esteem at all. They are a curious bunch of egomaniacs and screw ups in one way or another, but Mike Tyson is an exception to the rule. He has a lot of demons, as he himself says, but he really seems like a genuinely nice person, he has been trying so hard to shed his past and redeem himself on so many levels, to others and to himself. He should be commended for his great effort and the fact that he actually realized he was an a**hole for most of his life. He doesn't seem to be that moron that most people assumed he was. More celebs should be as humble. Good for him.

svt

Just have another drink and relax my friend. It will all be over as soon as the liver gives up. That's it no big deal.

Kayla Lynne

My hometown! Dig it!

Columbo

@ MrHarryBawls. Mohammed Ali is a hero? For what? Dodging the draft?

orgzeurlife

6 days? No, something is not right here...something is about to be revealed and he needed to scapegoat prior to its exposure. Not that I don't commend him, just think 6 days sober means he still hasn't gotten over the hard part, faced lows that will test his sobriety or had a substantial amount of counseling before sincerely never wanting to pick up a drink again.

Brian

At least he wants to stop. Hopefully someone can help him. It's not easy to stop but you have to want it first.

The Zombie

Good luck to him. Maybe sobriety will help him ditch the inner idiot.

GM

He's a disgusting animal. Always has been

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments