Valerie Harper

'Dancing with the Stars'

Despite Terminal Brain Cancer

8/28/2013 10:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0828-valorie-harper-dwts-tmz
Valerie Harper
-- whom doctors gave three months to live back in March due to her terminal brain cancer -- hasn't just defied medicine by staying alive ... she's signed on to "Dancing with the Stars."

As we reported, 74-year-old Harper -- famous for playing the role of Rhoda on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" -- announced she had been diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare form of cancer in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain.

Doctors gave her roughly until June to live ... but it's already August, and we've learned she's doing so well she is set to appear on the upcoming season of "Dancing," an extremely physically-demanding reality show.

We're told Valerie and her partner Tristan have already been practicing for two days, and she's surprisingly good. Our sources say she's completely self-sufficient and doesn't need any special assistance ... at least so far.

TMZ broke the story ... Leah Remini will also be on the next season, as well as Snooki, Elizabeth BerkleyAmber Riley from "Glee," and Christina Milian.

0828_dwts_winners_footer_v2

billybob

tough women, respect! @TMZ: 'brain cancer' is called brain tumor.

lkelly816

Not a good idea to tax the immune system with a grueling "dancing with the stars" schedule.

annie

this should be fun to watch!

dee

Good for her! I hope she completes her bucket list if she has one!

Memphisgirl

This lady makes me so happy! My father was diagnosed with terminal lung and bone cancer in April! He is doing remarkable! This amazing lady gives me hope for my dad!

MrEguy

Val is a courageous, tenacious, brave woman! Showing people how to live, and thrive! I'll be watching and cheering her on.

powerslave

Good for her. I hope she kicks some but! Now, how about getting Betty White!!

Truth

NO DOUBT SHE HAS A TON OF MEDICAL BILLS. EASY PAYDAY. POINT BLANK! #TRUTH!!

vjb602

good for her !!!!

Madeleine

I hate that show but will watch it for her

tmz addict

couldn't tell you one thing about this "celebrity"

lazypadawan

What's she supposed to do, sit home until the Grim Reaper knocks? I don't say this very often about famous people, but what an inspiration.

HLyWDgreg

3 months to live back in March? Dr's always low ball the time you have left, then when you have 3 months and last a year, they and you look like hero's.

Newtonnola

I'll watch for Val, great news.

chicago_animal

I know this is Usually B or C list celebs but Snooki? Wow, that's sad.