Dave Chappelle

HISSY FIT AT LIVE SHOW

Tells Off Crowd After Hecklers Interrupt

8/30/2013 6:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0830_dave_chapelle_01

Dave Chappelle went off on an angry crowd in Connecticut last night -- refusing to perform his material and telling the the audience to BOO THEMSELVES after he was heckled during the show.

Chappelle had only been on stage for a few minutes when he started to become irritated with some loudmouthed people in the crowd. As an act of defiance, Chappelle reportedly sat on his stool and with his mouth shut for several minutes.

Eventually, Chappelle grabbed the mic and told the crowd: "I f**ked up when I left my show, you know why? 'Cause my show only has to be 22 minutes of television. I could've went on television, I could've read the phone book for 22 minutes and I would've got $50 million dollars."

"I shoulda done that sh*t but my ego wouldn't let me. Tonight is different. Tonight my contract says 25 minutes and I have 3 minutes left. and when my 3 minutes is up, my ass is gone."

When people started to boo the comic, Chappelle responded, "You're booing yourself."

After the show, dozens of pissed off fans demanded a refund.

People seem to be divided over Chappelle's reaction -- with comics like Patton Oswalt blaming the crowd: "Dear Dave Chappelle's fans: He's one of the best comedians working, & you're not letting him do what he loves. Stop being a**holes."

Sharon

I saw Dave C at the Montreal Comedy Festival in July. He was amazing. The crowd in Conn. must have really made him upset because he is a fantastic and very relaxed comic on stage,

Bob DaMahn

Ya Dave that was a lame routine you need some better weed bro before you get on stage cause your dealer is ripping you off!

e-moral

I was sitting in the 4th row and there were some drunks that had no clue what they were yelling as if in a rock concert. Security did nothing unless you had a phone. But the drunks were allowed to yell random stuff. It wasn't even heckling it was worse, yelling random things like "take off your sweater". Removing them would have been the only way they would have stopped. Also it happened throughout the other 4-5 performers. But that won't get reported that the 4 artists before him sat through the same thing, the one lady comedian insulted the crowd on her last joke and stormed off. I blame the venue even after me telling people to shut the hell up security did nothing.

oink

It's the Fans own fault for paying $$$$ to see trash like him. LOL.

user name

Sometimes people have bad days. What I wanna know is why would someone pay money to talk trash on the comedian?

double d

My friend was there. He wanted me and my bf to go but couldn't. Our friend raged on FB. Glad we didn't waste the $.

princeof the city

Well Dave, you were right about turning your back on TV's 50 mil.......................genius

Mr. C

The general public have absolutely no concept of decorum. Yes, it was a comedy show, but it's still live entertainment in a theatrical setting. People just don't know how to control or conduct themselves in public anymore. He had every right to punish them for their bad behavior.

Sher

I hear the guy is funny, but it really seems that he needs some serious mental help. Perhaps his 'career' choice has messed him up. If you cannot take hecklers, you should not be making MILLIONS in comedy! He is done, used up, ta ta!!

KicksandGiggles

He is about as funny as cramps. Def not professional. He needs to put his big nad holders on and give the folks what they paid their $$$ for. Nothing worst than a baby with a mustache.

Shannon

That was definitely weird, awkward, and not in the least bit entertaining, but it wasn't quite as bad as you made it out to be. I get why people are demanding their money back, but there were other acts they watched and probably enjoyed and he did stay on stage the whole time so they won't see a dime.

BW

He did the same thing in Louisville. He dropped the mic and walked right off the stage.

will

How is that BIZARRE behavior if the crowd is being rude and won't listen to the jokes??? I don't blame him for leaving

humpty

Wow, exaggerate much TMZ? That was hardly a tantrum. He repectfully said "good night", set the mic down, stood on stage for a few seconds, and then walked off stage. It wasn't as though he shouted expletives, threw the mic down, gave everyone the finger, and bolted off stage. Dave Chappelle is hilarious. I've seen him live and he's a class act. But his humor is a bit offbeat and unlike the humor one might find at many other comedy shows. The crowd was being very disrespectful and I don't blame him for walking off.

donji

Really why would you heckle someone you paid to see? If the first 20 minutes was lame maybe i'd bitch but why would you heckle the guy off the stage you paid to see?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments