Dave Chappelle

HISSY FIT AT LIVE SHOW

Tells Off Crowd After Hecklers Interrupt

8/30/2013 6:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0830_dave_chapelle_01

Dave Chappelle went off on an angry crowd in Connecticut last night -- refusing to perform his material and telling the the audience to BOO THEMSELVES after he was heckled during the show.

Chappelle had only been on stage for a few minutes when he started to become irritated with some loudmouthed people in the crowd. As an act of defiance, Chappelle reportedly sat on his stool and with his mouth shut for several minutes.

Eventually, Chappelle grabbed the mic and told the crowd: "I f**ked up when I left my show, you know why? 'Cause my show only has to be 22 minutes of television. I could've went on television, I could've read the phone book for 22 minutes and I would've got $50 million dollars."

"I shoulda done that sh*t but my ego wouldn't let me. Tonight is different. Tonight my contract says 25 minutes and I have 3 minutes left. and when my 3 minutes is up, my ass is gone."

When people started to boo the comic, Chappelle responded, "You're booing yourself."

After the show, dozens of pissed off fans demanded a refund.

People seem to be divided over Chappelle's reaction -- with comics like Patton Oswalt blaming the crowd: "Dear Dave Chappelle's fans: He's one of the best comedians working, & you're not letting him do what he loves. Stop being a**holes."

Kumbaya

He did the same thing when my friend saw him in Vegas 10 years ago. Audience members started saying "I'm Rick James bit**h" dozens of them over and over again. He lost it, And got really quiet. It was a Saturday night late show, when people were totally plastered.

Crimson

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode. He heckled the hecklers

melbrooks

There is only one Dave, and the Dave is one funny asd nother****er. So, until you can do what he does better than he does it, badically shut up.

JuanRambo

Dave Chappelle is funny but I think his time is up... He's always getting mad for everything. You're known for your 'chappelle show' work so stop already. Look at John Stamos is known as Uncle Jesse or Jaleel White is known as Steve Urkel... & they don't get mad about it.

melbrooks

Sorru bout typos at thebeach cant c keys

True

Why would you PAY to see someone, then intentionally try to annoy them. Then get mad at them because they got annoyed and won't do what you paid to see them do?

geincolo

You stupid Conn people should remain in your uncivilized neighborhoods. Come west, Dave! We appreciate cerebral comedy.

HLyWDgreg

Dave Chappelle is a F ing genius, it's too bad the people who were respecting him had to pay for the idiots who didn't.

I'm Awesome admit it

Dave has the right to get pissed he's trying to put on a show for his fans then he has some d-bags being annoying and not letting him do his job I'm a fan of his and I wouldn't have been slightly mad if he did this hell I probably would of told the other people to shut the hell up and you see why he quit his show because stupid people

hellooo!!!

Luv Dave Chapelle. :D

Bitchplease

When you have morons screaming out "Do Rick James Bitch!!", what do you expect .Chappelle is a terrific stand up comedian who had a great sketch comedy show. The morons in the audience should've learned the difference. You're paying for him to do stand up comedy not a t.v. show there is a BIG difference! GROW UP AND SHUT THE **** UP WHEN GROWN FOLKS ARE TALKING!

david 183

He doesn't even sound funny anymore. Think he lost his mojo. Something is seriously wrong with this guy. Is there a doctor in the house!!!

Bigmack10

He can add it to his bucket list.

julie higgins

I was at the show and I can tell you that HE was the unprofessional one!! No one could even hear any heckling. Even if it had occurred, he could have ignored it, heckled the guy back, or had security escort the heckler out. It appeared that Chappelle was light on material and latched on some random comment to cut short his show. He said many contemptuous things to the audience once his meltdown began. He is either a spoiled celebrity, or still has the issues that sent him to Africa (extreme anxiety?), or was on drugs (as his demeanor and paranoia would suggest). It was bad enough to sit through Chappelle's insults last night, but even worse to hear the story misrepresented today as a comedian's measured attempt to deal with hecklers. His people must be pitching it that way, but that is far from the truth.. He basically told us that he was going to have us stew while he laughed all the way to the bank. How incongruous to act insulted by a heckler and then insult the entire audience of thousands for what one person allegedly said! Chappelle wasn't insulted, he just wasn't up for the show! I want my money back! Boy, did he lose a lot of goodwill last night.

bozomcbozo

I was at the Chappelle show last night and recorded an even longer video than the one you have posted if you are interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRjKcw-JjY8 currently the last 12 minutes of the set is the longest posted. I just put it up an hour ago. Thought you may be interested.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments