'Oh Sweet Lorraine'

96-Year-Old Songwriter

Making Bank

9/3/2013 12:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0830_JACOB_FRED_TMZ_WM
Don't feel too bad for this guy ... the 96-year-old songwriter behind the tearjerker "Oh Sweet Lorraine" (which he wrote about his recently deceased wife of 75 years) is rolling in dough after his song skyrocketed to the top of the charts, TMZ has learned.

Sources involved with the song's production tell us, Fred Stobaugh's "Oh Sweet Lorraine" -- performed by singer Jacob Colgan -- has already sold more than 100,000 copies on iTunes, more than Justin Timberlake and Miley Cyrus' latest singles ... earning $.70 on the dollar.

But iTunes sales are just the tip of the iceberg ... we're told Fred and Jacob have gotten tons of lucrative licensing offers from around the world ... one in excess of $100,000.

A little background: Fred submitted the song's lyrics for a recent competition in Illinois, and the story about Fred and his wife caught fire on the Internet.

It's unclear exactly how much Fred's raking in, but we're told he's getting the lion's share of the profits.

And Fred's plans for his new fortune? New hearing aids, we're told.

Another funny thing ... our sources say when Fred was told he beat out JT on iTunes, he didn't know who that was ... same with Miley. But he did ask, "Is that Billy Ray's daughter?"

We're guessing they didn't show him her VMA performance ... since he's still breathing.

Meyersmedley

Good for him!! This story is precious. This man loved his wife so much. Such a special thing that he's done for her.

Amy E

This was THE sweetest story circulating around the Internet. Fred deserves every bit of the money he gets ...I only wish his "sweet Lorraine" was still here to share it with him. Nice job, TMZ, for posting a follow-up to this beautiful love story!

Trish803

Those of you ridiculing this gentleman and his song have never experienced true love. My parents have been married for 66 years and I see it in them. Don't you think Fred would give all the money back to have one more year, one more month, or even one more day with his beloved wife?

Kath

I wish I had someone who loved me that much. We all should.

Faith

I think this is a beautiful song and helping Fred is just the right thing to do... Love Love Love it....

krys

Beautiful love story, so rare in this day and age! He deserves it for a love like that. I know Lorraine would be so very proud of him! ♥

dreamer4u

God bless him.. and his sweet Lorraine.. may she RIP

Nancy

The song Oh Sweet Lorraine it warm my heart and it bought tears to my eyes. I feel for Fred Slobaugh, he was truly in love with his wife for 73 years. The song really touch my heart very deeply. I am truly in love with my husband for many years too.

mmmmikkimac

BEST article in a long time and GOOD karma will come back to those young people who put the words to music - what lovely man to have loved his wife so much

terri

Beautiful

Barb

Thanks, TMZ, for this piece.

Phoebo

I hope this guy isn't pulling a Manti Teo on everyone.

MaganHemp08

TMZ YOU ARE SICK! To take everything from the beautiful song and all you guys care about is that he is "BANKING"? First of all your SOURCES are wrong about half this stuff. For once something positive turns comes into the media and you guys turn it into to making one of the sweetest guys look greedy? I will never read one of your STUPID ARTICLES AGAIN!

Northerner

now this is the kind of story i want to see more of instead of all the fights, dui's, drugs and **** like that.

a nice heartwarming story like this should have national coverage and i hope fred's song sells like crazy breaking records of super stars and makes him tons of money!

fred im sorry for your loss but you can rest easy knowing lorraine will always be by your side!

cesperon

Don't feel bad for him because he has money now? Really? After watching interviews with Fred, I believe he would give every penny back and then some if he could just have his Lorraine back. Money isn't everything.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments