Dave Chappelle

Hartford Crowd Was Evil, White

I Wanted to Pull a 'Reverse Kramer'

9/4/2013 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0904_dave_chappelle_article_tmzDave Chappelle is lashing out about the people who heckled him in Hartford, CT last week ... calling the crowd a bunch of "young, white alcoholics" and saying he wanted to pull a "reverse Kramer."

Chappelle took the stage at a show in Chicago last night ... and immediately went off on Hartford -- where he engaged in a nasty stand-off with the crowd after several loudmouthed fans heckled him during his set.

"I don't want anything bad to happen to the United States," Chappelle said ... "but if North Korea ever drops a nuclear bomb on this country, I swear to God I hope it lands in Hartford, Connecticut."

Chappelle then called the crowd "evil" ... and described them as a bunch of "young, white alcoholics."

"I wanted to pull a reverse Kramer and call them all crackers or something crazy like that."

Chappelle was obviously referring to the TMZ footage of Michael Richards during his insane N-bomb tirade at the Laugh Factory back in 2006.

090413_michael_richards_launch
In the end, Dave says the crowd in Hartford was lucky to see him "freak out" that night -- explaining, "That s**t's like being at a f**king tiger show the night Sigfried and Roy got their throats bit out by the tiger ... you don't go to see somebody be safe."

0905_dave_chappelle_through_footer

rlemons

Yes let's wish harm on thousands of people. Wtf?! Stupid ass

Scary

He has a point there about people wanting to see some crazy (that explains the popularity of most of the people regularly featured on TMZ). He's funny as heck, it must suck to feel like you've become some drunk person's dancing monkey (that's not a racist term, btw, before anyone gets upset). Although, that is standup. Maybe standup just isn't for him.

Billy

Like so many other blacks, when you suck at what you do, it must be the crackers who caused it. Can't even call him a house n!gger, he's just a dumb n!gger.

Bree The V.

I live in Hartford CT and I'm actually quite unhappy about this. =/ Dave Chappelle had a fan in me, but he disrespected my city. That's unforgivable. Those people probably didn't even live in the city, they probably drove in. Hartford used to like you Dave. We used to.

Scary

I don't get the people calling him a racist and getting butt-hurt over his comments. Drunk, young, white people are annoying as hell, as are drunk, young people of any color. It's Hartford, so I'm sure it just happened to be a pretty white audience. Drunk people in general are pretty annoying. It's like the Seinfeld episode, where Jerry goes to the woman's workplace to heckle her while she's trying to work, ha. The show already played in my city weeks ago, and it's pretty white here, you didn't hear any drama then.

article33

We LOVE Dave Chappelle's comedy because he tells the TRUTH! Definitely one of the best comedians out there and would LOVE to see him resume his TV career,

notalawyer

Where is Bugs Bunny and what have you done with him?

pegasus

Hartford is a sh!t hole...the armpit of America.

Berlesk

Dat ***** be racist n sheet yo !

LuckeeD

Dave is a fabulous comedian. Many years later people are still using lines from his show. His career is not in the toilet because HE is the one that turned down the the huge contract. I read that part of the reason was that he no longer wanted to do some the racial humor that the "man" wanted him to do. He is not a racist. He would have said something similar if it was an all black crown. And I love the hypocrisy here. When someone uses the "n" word which has a DEEP past meaning of hate, people tell blacks to stop being so sensitive and get over it. But when someone says "cracker", a word that really doesn't have that deep of an offensive meaning, people get all hurt and outraged. Sooo hypocritical.

catharinemily

chapelle is wicked funny but has a screw loose

StandardMan

I think DC is a funny guy. But he does seem to be easily unhinged and that's really too bad. I think he needs some help but I imagine his paranoia prevents him from doing so. Sadly, I don't see him getting better, and I don't see it going well for him.

Dan

Sounds reasonable to me. I mean, I know lots of white people, myself included, that spend our money to buy tickets to performances by blacks just so we can heckle them. That's how racist in 2013 we are. I still can't believe that a nation of racists elected a black man to become President. Then after he did a completely horrible job we re-elected him.
It couldn't possibly be that your routine just sucked, then you acted like a d-bag about it now could it?

Nonsense

hes a dumb Sh*t but can't admit So he pulls the race card to make everything better.

Superstareh

I think stars or should I say fallen stars like Chappelle forget who makes and breaks them. If he thinks his carreer is going to move forward he is in for a rude awakening. Being racist is stupid now a days but what hurt the most was wishing that kind of death to a whole city that has no fault. I consider that comment to be terrorism and there should be some kind of consequence for a comment so racist and hateful toward fellow americans. If you no longer have jokes retire, the people of Hartford CT have spoken. Those white drunk people paid to see your lame act. Show some respect.