Tom Hanks Jury Case

Allegations of Jury Tampering

9/11/2013 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0911-tom-hanks-defense-tmz
The trial in which Tom Hanks was sitting as a juror just came to an abrupt halt after charges of jury tampering surfaced ... TMZ has learned.

During a lunch break Wednesday ... a female member of the L.A. City Attorney's Office went up to Tom in a stairwell and thanked him for his jury service, especially because he's such a big celeb and gladly served.

When the court reconvened today  ... the prosecutor disclosed that a member of the City Attorney's Office made inappropriate contact with Tom during a break.

The defense then asked for a hearing to prove prosecutorial misconduct.  At that point, lawyers on both sides started talking and a plea deal was cut.

Andrew Flier, the defendant's lawyer (seen above with Hanks after the trial), tells TMZ his client pled no contest to a minor infraction -- disturbing the peace.

The defendant had been charged with domestic violence and faced up to a year in jail.  Instead, he got a $150 fine, and that's it.

Flier spoke with us on TMZ Live just a few minutes ago (hear below).

As for Tom, he did not say how he was leaning, but said he was there to "serve justice."

091113_andrew_flier_tmz_live_launch_v6

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Zoola

I guess if I go to court I want a celebrity on the Jury

Rob Zombie is King

Give it a rest TMZ. Seriously, now "Jury Duty" is breaking news? I have to say however, I rather this over KarTrashian news.

Jordan

Prosecutors in California know that when they make contact with a celebrity juror there goes there case and waste the Taxpayers money.

D-INCARNATION

Good deal.

DavidUK

I hope the lawyer gets fired

PictureUp

this is all your fault TMZ!!yet another criminal gets off EZ!!

ts

That person who made contact with Hanks should be fired, or disbarred. They know that's a no no, but did and lost the case.

Demi

There goes Justice for a woman that was abused out of the window because of some starstruck imbecile! How is the battered woman feeling? Another criminal skates... Because of a moron.

Gabbi

Since today IS Wednesday, does this mean that this will all happen tomorrow and the member of the City's Attorneys Office will approach him today during lunch?

HoTMZ

I don't get why the prosector would volunteer that info to lead to a mistrial/the defense getting off the hook!

Melinda

As someone who has experience picking juries I have to say I was shocked that both sides agreed to Mr. Hanks serving. This sounds suspicious to me, the employee would have known better.

Ryuga the Dragon Emperor

Domestic violence is the woman's fault. Just acquit the guy already.

KARMA K

I wonder if she will be looking for a new job tomorrow,what a dumbass! Im sure she knew the rules, to shut up, and not speak to jury members!

JennA

I really hate saying this (because I think celebs should be obligated to the same civic duties that the rest of us are), but it's probably an all around bad idea to have a celebrity on a jury. People are such whackos for celebs that it's hard to believe somebody like Tom Hanks wouldn't have some kind of extra influence. Even the moron from the City Attorney's office couldn't resist singling him out! And look how much attention this run of the mill court case got in the press just because he was in the room. Seems like a recipe for jury tampering and mistrials.

CorkiDeCat

Star ****ers in the DA office...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments