« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Billie Jean King

Mafia Didn't Rig Tennis Match

I Beat Bobby Riggs Fair & Square

9/12/2013 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Video

091213_billie_jean_king_launch_v2
Billie Jean King is calling BS on reports the mafia rigged her famous Battle of the Sexes tennis match with Bobby Riggs ... telling TMZ, "I just beat his butt and that's it."

The allegations surfaced in an ESPN investigation last month -- a country club worker claims he witnessed a secret meeting between Riggs and the mafia, in which Riggs agreed to throw the famous 1973 match if the mob forgave his $100k gambling debts.

But King says the whole story is ridiculous -- telling us, "[Riggs] was not that kind of a guy. He didn't play around with the mafia."

BJK also says Riggs had more of a financial incentive to WIN their duel -- because had he emerged victorious, he would have had the chance to play in a MILLION DOLLAR match.

As for Riggs, he passed away in 1995 ... from cancer, not the mob.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Michelle

when they made him play the double lines, and she only had the singles lines - don't fair and square. If you've got to ease up on one player, that takes away the fairness!

HoTMZ

Interesting! I wonder what the truth is! My question is why would the mafia forgive a $100,000 debt if the guy who owed them lost a tennis match? I'd think they would tell him he better win so he can pay up. Am I missing something?

SwissMiss

The "real " story that people still care about tennis. Ugh, boring...

Malaka

That's ur claim to fame lesbo? So sad ,keep holding onto the past u curtain licker

daved0622

Wow beating a below average player 26 years older than you, you should have won.

Joe

Yea.She beat a grandpa at tennis,So yep,That made her more than equal to him.

Colonel Custard

And to think, she's been tucking it all these years. Must be getting uncomfortable. The good news is they are making tape with better adhesion quality.

Vote2012

The real secret is she is actually a man dressed as a woman

Steve

Ok the real real deal, I saw that match . But what isn't mentioned is that Riggs beat Margaret Court Smith the number 1 rated tennis player the year before. Then the hype kicked in for a rematch but with king. King took it to him and won. Now the side note; a year later I saw king and court play, court won it was a Virginia slims tournament, as king was leaving she walked into the crowd like she was some prima Dona my dad was behind me and as king was walking by me he placed my hand right on her ass. Ok guys it was very firm but super sweaty, she looked up at me with those grey eyes with venom. Before I could say anything like sorry my dad's a perv or something she stormed off with me wiping her ass sweat off on my pants, my dad was laughing his head off. I was 18, a cool father son memory.

OK

Why are they bringing this up? It was in 1973.

anony

Good possibility this is true. He knew he couldn't beat her anyway (as long as she kept him running) so he conned the mob into forgiving his debts.

Senorkaboom