David Tutera, Former Partner

Split Babies

in Half

9/13/2013 6:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0913_david_ryan_01

David Tutera -- the host of "My Fair Wedding" -- followed the biblical path in his split with Ryan Jurica  -- he gets one of their twins, and Ryan gets one.

The two men had a 10-year domestic partnership that blew apart in January ... and it got UGLY.  And there was a big complication -- they had fraternal twins through a surrogate in July, and that triggered a bitter custody battle.

Now here's the complication.  Each man fertilized an egg that was then implanted in the same surrogate, who gave birth to the two babies at the same time.  It appears the eggs are from the same biological mother.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... a judge has issued a temporary custody arrangement in which David gets custody of his biological child, baby girl Cielo, and Ryan gets custody of his biological child, Cedric.

We're told David and Ryan are "close" to a final settlement, where the temporary custody arrangement will become permanent.

We're also told the two men are getting along.  It's unclear if they will each get visitation rights of each other's kid. So we gotta ask ...

FYI, Tutera had a chance to explain himself on "The View" this morning. Check the clip.

091313_david_tutera_view_launch
 0802_whos_daddy_footer_v2

Genjerleigh

If gay couples want to be treated the same as straight couples, there divorce doesn't mean they're not both parents of both babies. They want equal rights when its convenient. I'm all for gay rights - I think they should have to go through the same thing as everyone

knockknock

Really??? No matter what they are still siblings and twins!!!! This is ****ed. Its okay to **** up your life but jesus christ don't **** up your kids.

Diane

So F*ING wrong!!!!! I am a twin and can not begin the imagine how this will affect these children. These are not pets!

Trav j

Bad story and worse ending for the poor kids! Nothing against gay relationships parenting kids but they need to find a way that those twins stay together all the time and know the are 1

HumanNature

HAVE ANYONE EVER HEARD OF "IN VITRO FERTILIZATION" ??????

SAME PROCEDURE THAT OCTOMOM HAD DONE!!!!!!

HumanNature

I JUST HOPE THAT THESE "FATHERS" GIVE BOTH OF THESE CHILDREN THEIR UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, STABLE HOME ENVIRONMENT AND TIME!!!!!

Lina

The children are siblings, for f*cks' sake! They should be raised together. They should have that right. Instead, these two are treating the children like they are personal property, to split down the middle, just like all other assets in a divorce. It is so, so wrong.

Kim

I'm curious to know if these kids are actually twins. I know that each man fertilized and egg that was implanted but I was a surrogate twice. It's completely possible that one egg failed to implant and the other split into a twin, which would, in fact make them twins by only the one father, not both. Just a thought.

Cheri

To me this is no different than an egg donor with two different eggs and two different men inseminating those eggs, Separating them at birth is no problem, it's not as if they share a parent because the biological mother was the connection and she was the donor. No different than the Survivor guy donating his sperm with potentially hundreds of children.

Also if you listened to Tutero he said the marriage was tanked and decided to inseminate anyway.

whocares

So sad.

OK

Not a good idea. The twins should be together.

sc1432

Gay or not children or siblings should not be separated. It only hurts the child in the long run. This is not fair to these twins. The adults should act like it and work out a custody arrangement that does not separate the kids.

Lucky Lucy

This seems like the ultimate Solomon situation (damn my Catholic education for even knowing that reference). Splitting up these children in the end is an act of selfishness. Having children means sacrificing your needs above theirs. Grow up a**holes and start acting like parents.

Jessie J

Being a mother of twins I know how close they are. When they would cry as babies I would lay them right next to each other and they would stop. It is cruel to separate two babies when all they've known is being together. I really hope they re think this decision. Makes me sick!

Meyersmedley

That is despicable. Shame on them. They don't need anymore future children bc they've proven themselves to be terrible parents who only think of their own feelings. These poor babies now have to go through life being separated and not ever knowing each other. I would grow up and absolutely resent that with every fiber of my being. Good luck explaining this one guys.