Paula Deen

Extortionist Sentenced

2 Years in Prison

9/16/2013 2:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0916_paula_deen_tmz
The man who allegedly attempted to extort $250,000 from Paula Deen has just been sentenced to 2 years in prison, TMZ has learned.

As we reported, a man named Thomas Paculis contacted Deen's attorney claiming he would release "true and damning" information about the celebrity chef's n-word usage if he didn't receive a huge check. The FBI tracked Paculis down and he was subsequently arrested and charged with two counts of extortion.

Paculis struck a plea bargain with prosecutors last month, agreeing to plead guilty to one count of extortion. In exchange, prosecutors dropped the remaining count.

Paculis was sentenced today to 2 years in a Georgia prison, plus one year of supervised release and 40 hours community service. He has already been remanded into custody.

Interestingly, the court also ordered Paculis to attend substance abuse counseling. We called Paculis' attorney to find out why -- so far, no word back.

justpoor

2 years is not enough, but he will get the PB sandwich for a long time in jail. I hope someone folows him for life when he gets out of jail and report he's every move.

Diane

Good, so happy for Paula!

Too bad that he will only actually serve about 1 year!

Joao

Let me get this straight... if a lawyer makes the same proposition, it's called a "proposition" otherwise it's called, "extortion."

Carol

I seriouly am so tired of hearing about Ms Dean! I stopped watching her show on the foodnet work yrs ago, her 15 minutes of fame has been over along, long, long time ago.

Sili'LilSkoolgrl

I bet she's back on the sauce again.

Jim

I was never a fan of Paula Deen. It's not that I didn't like her, I just never watched her show. That being said, she really got a raw deal.

fit4ufor3rd

The man who allegedly attempted to extort $250,000 from Paula Deen

it is no longer alleged. it is now a fact.

damon

I heard that Hollywood is going to cast her in the movie
The butler part 2

hunden

He completely destroyed this woman's life and received two years? NOT FAIR! Shouldn't his attorney that filed off the blackmail letter be serving right along with him?

billybob

BTW, her 500$ wig looks just awful...

juno

I cannot believe how Paula was exploited by the media and others over what I consider very minor racial "slurs". I hear a lot worse by blacks, whites, and all types of people in real life and in the media.
Of course I'm against anything racist, but she didn't deserve to be crucified by the media.

ann benntt

It did look at times that someone or a group were trying to cash in on' the fortune using the indictment reason 'politically incorect'! oh well! ab

hcoon

We love you Paula

lilbit

The thing that is really amazing in a sick disturbed kind of way is that if you look back to articles and video clips, no prominent black person interviewed went after Paula Deen, even Al Sharpton who yells RACIST at a drop of a hat if it means he gets camera time stuck up for her and said to wait and see all the facts come out. All this hateful attack was started and carried out by a pathetic liberal media that is so void of actual journalism that they will do anything for ratings!

Charlotte Wolfe

Everyone can sit back and criticize Paula Deen, but if YOU were in her shoes, how would you feel? Think about it BEFORE you post a reply.

No one can eat good ole Southern Food every meal everyday, but Paula Deen is a fine person. I am Southern and grew up on this type food. Regretfully with maturity you cannot continue to eat this everyday, but it is nice to reminisce and appreciate our heritage.

So if you don't like her, don't watch her. Just remember if it were YOU instead of her.

Paula I hope you come back stronger than ever. I have no room for jealously.

And TMZ has been a big part of this debacle.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments