Nintendo Pioneer

Dead at 85

9/19/2013 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0919_hiroshi_nintendo

Ex-Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi -- who revolutionized the video game industry by introducing the world to Super Mario -- died this morning of pneumonia at a hospital in Japan.

Yamauchi introduced the Nintendo Entertainment System to America in 1985, and followed up by launching the greatest video game franchises in history, including Super Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong.

Hiroshi left the company in 2002 -- but reportedly refused to accept his retirement pension allegedly worth between $9 to $14 million dollars ... claiming Nintendo could put it to better use.

With an estimated net worth of around $2.1 billion, Hiroshi was ranked the 13th richest man in Japan at the time of his death.

Hiroshi was 85. He is survived by his wife and 3 kids.

Now fire up that NES and kick some Bowser ass in his honor.

Dog And Pony

Game Over, Mr Yamauchi. Thanks for playing and thanks for making things a little more enjoyable for millions.

Truth

INTEREST ALONE ON 2.1 BILLION IS 3-4X MORE THAN $14 MIL A YEAR... CHUMP CHANGE. OF COURSE HE REFUSED. NOW IF HE WAS WORTH A THOUSAND TIMES LESS HE WUD TAKE THAT PAPER, NO DOUBT. POINT BLANK! #TRUTH!!

stu

People who play video games need to get a life=job,volunteer,hobby,gym...

q

I'll never forget getting one when I was a kid. Given we were never allowed a Atari it was a big deal.

braintrain

I will blow the cartridge out when I get home. Then gently insert it. Keep gaming people.

BrEtruthful

My super NES from xmas "95" still works like brand new thanks to this man......RIP! Can't say the same about my PS3.....its dead

Charlie Sheen's Watch

So many hours - so much joy with Nintendo. Sad news.

I dont care

And now they suck they suck they coudve used him

I dont care

Couldve*

Sabrina

Wow, what a great guy. I don't knew anyone who would leave a company and not want his pension. Amazing man. RIP.

LDB

I love me some super mario

Reed Richards

Sadly, there will be no reset button for him...Quick!!! Someone blow on his face and hit power!!! It might just work!!!

Wow ...

Rest in peace Mr. Yamauchi. Thanks for all of the fun and great memories playing with friends and family. My condolence to your family and friends!

Lucky_130

Thanks for all the great memories Mr. Yamauchi

billybob

High score! He earned himself the final stage rightly, the big boss is waiting, whoever she is....

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments