Will.i.am SUES Pharrell

I.AM Who I.AM

And You're Not

9/20/2013 12:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0919-will-i-am-pharrell-wilkiams-getty
Will.i.am
has fired back at Pharrell in a lawsuit, claiming Pharrell is a serial thief who steals names for profit -- including Will's.

Pharrell has launched a YouTube channel called I AM OTHER.  After Will fired off a cease and desist letter, demanding that Pharrell stop using "I AM," Pharrell filed a lawsuit, asking a judge to protect his right to use the "I AM" moniker.

Now we've obtained new legal docs, in which Will.i.am is countersuing Pharrell, claiming the dude has a long, copycat history.  Will.i.am notes ... Pharrell co-founded a record label called Star Trak Entertainment -- sound familiar?

But wait, there's more.  Will also notes Pharrell is being sued by Marvin Gaye's family for allegedly ripping off "Got to Give it Up" for his summer smash "Blurred Lines."

And there's still more.  Will claims Pharrell also tried to register the trademark, Pink Slime -- which Will says is similar to Slime, owned by Mattel.  That's a stretch, right?

As for using "I AM," Will points out it will confuse people because they're both on the same record label and they have similar musical styles.

As for what Will wants ... $$$.

Mikey

God was the first to use "I Am" so maybe he's sue the both of them.

All Heart

I AM shocked that this type of petty behavior persists between these rappers.

Many try to act the same, dress the same, sound the same, etc, etc, etc so of course there's going to be some confusion to unaware or uneducated listeners.

Those who know the genre already know the difference between each group and/or individual.

BTW, I know squat about rap, but I do know who Will.I.Am is ... and it would be hard for me to confuse Pharrell with Will.I.Am

Mikey

Couple of nit wits arguing over who is "I Am"

SarahBeebee

How ironic. A person who steals other people's songs getting all Mad that someone else is trying to copy his name. lol

Sara

Sounds like to me William is jealous of Pharrells Success..but that besides the point that "I am" is part of everyday language and unless he plans on suing the world he needs to give it a rest.

Sarah

Get over yourself Will.i.Idiot. I use "I am" you gonna sue me too? The name is not the same get over it you fool. Just hating because Pharrell is hot as hell and looks better than you even though he's older.

michael

They are both idiots.

bkblueknight

as if i need one more reason not to listen to will.i.am s music

Nancy

Never liked Will i am. Way too overated. He is average, at best. Even average is debatable.

JrzGrl

Give me a break. Ridiculous.

KnuckleDragger

"...demanding that Pharrell stop using "I AM," Pharrell filed a lawsuit, asking a judge to protect his right to use the "I AM" moniker."
I wonder what Doctor Suess would have to say.

Dr. Cornelia J. Dogbarker PhD

Too bad this dumb pathetic moron Will.I.Aint doesn't have any actually talent or intellect..... It would really help his case, but instead he just looks like an ass hole.

Azi

I am Azi.I.am and you are not !

iSick

Remember when that news reporter confused will.i.am for Wycleaf Jean? XD
Will.i.am has lost faith in white people and thinks we can't seperate black people. Blame the reporter. -iSick

PAmom

Pink slime is a mechanically separated meat product used in cheaply made beef products and school lunches. Why would you want to trademark that name.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments