Alanis Morissette

Sued by Ex-Nanny

She Held Me Hostage

9/26/2013 7:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0926-tmz-alanis-morissette
Alanis Morissette
oughta know ... you can't keep a nanny locked up in your child's bedroom all night ... without so much as a meal break -- but one ex-nanny is now suing the singer for allegedly doing just that.

Bianca Cambeiro filed the lawsuit against Morissette and her husband Mario Treadway, claiming the couple employed her from August 2011 to March 2013 ... and she worked a hellish 12-hour night shift looking after their newborn son.

According to Bianca's lawsuit, Alanis effectively held her hostage inside their baby's bedroom while he slept, ordering her not to leave under any circumstances ... not even for a break to eat.

Bianca was only allowed relief if one of the child's parents was in the bedroom ... or if the day-shift nanny replaced her. That's it.

What's more, Bianca says she was denied more than $30,000 in unpaid overtime and other wages. But she's suing for $100,000 on top of that, claiming she also suffered emotional distress.

We reached out to Alanis' people for comment. So far, no word back.

Sheryl

It was soooooo bad, you worked there for 2 years?? I find that very hard to believe. And if that's the contract she signed when she started (assuming there was one), can't complain about it now.

MinnesotaNice

2 years and she's just NOW complaining?? Something stinks here and its the Nanny's story! This is the stuff that makes me wonder why any celebrity would want this lifestyle. No matter who you are, what you are doing...people will be looking for their payout. How do any celebrities ever find people they can really trust? Seems like a very sad and lonely way to live.

Lucy

Sounds like a load of BS.
Being a nanny is not like working at an office. There are no scheduled "breaks". You break when the kid is sleeping. Considering she had the night shift, I am going to assume she had a lot of "break time".
I didn't have a nanny, but I wouldn't leave my newborn alone in the room either. If I had to go to the bathroom, kitchen, do laundry, etc I took him with me and just put him in his little bouncy chair. Lucky for me I was able to stay at home with him when he was a newborn, but had I the money, and had I hired a nanny, you better believe she wouldn't be leaving my kid alone, unless there was someone else in the room.

Dildo Baggins

Am I the only one who thinks she looks like Dave Grohl?

LDB

are celebs so lazy they cant take care of their own kids?

nof

I expect absolutely nothing from nannies/house-keepers ...

- and they never disappoint me.

fonzie

There is this new trend, thanks to techology...keep a baby monitor with the nanny during the night. It's the nanny's job to get up nights and also work days. I hate to say it but I believe the nanny didn't want to quit and stuck out her contract/time.....then realized how much she had been taken advantage of. It's very difficult to say no to parents because they are taking care of a baby and want to do the right thing and not piss the parents off.

Amis

Jeeze, why become a mother if you can't even get up in the middle of the night with your own baby? Should've just adopted a dog from the shelter if waking up and caring for a baby is too hard.

Truth

MORRISETTE?? SHE STILL ALIVE??? HOW IS THE BITCH MAKING MONEY THESE DAYS LET ALONE 30 GRAND... JUST SAYIN. #TRUTH!!

YorkieLuv

I've done childcare before & what kind of idiot allows their employers to lock them in the baby's room at night for years on.. & then sues ?!?! If this did happen it sounds like she agreed to the terms without having a solid contract that spelled out her duties and when OT legally came into play.

Sili'LilSkoolgrl

I bet the woman got to sleep most of the time. It's still embarrassing for AM that she refuses to care for her baby and puts herself and her beauty rest first.

Satan

Alanis is a bad ass.

Soda pop

I want that ass

Petite

I just wanna talk about that picture~WOW! This is why even I don't go to the dollar store w/o a hat & sunglasses.

She's got the crazy eyes, hair in need of a scrunchie, wearing a short sleeve Tshirt and a heavy winter scarf tied around her neck. She actually looks quite similar to the crazy homeless lady I see downtown.
As for the nanny issue~I don't have children but from what I hear, a parent ought to be committed enough to their child to get up at night to care for it themselves.
Then again, parents still send their children to 'boarding school', so apparently it's more about who has unlimited wealth verses who has unlimited love.

Gigi

I hope the nanny wins. If you only have 1 or 2 kids and you have to hire 24 hour care for them, you deserve to get sued.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments