Tom Clancy

Legendary Author

Dead at 66

10/2/2013 7:34 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1002_tom_clancy_remembering_years

Tom Clancy -- the author behind mega-hits like "The Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games" and "Rainbow Six" -- died last night at the age of 66 ... this according to his publisher.

The details surrounding Clancy's death are limited at this point. His publisher revealed Clancy passed away at a hospital in Baltimore, the city where he was born.

Clancy was the first name in military thrillers -- churning out tons of hit books, many of which became blockbuster movies and video games.

Clancy's most famous character was CIA agent Jack Ryan -- who was portrayed on the big screen by actors like Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, and Ben Affleck. Chris Pine is set to play Ryan in the upcoming movie, "Jack Ryan: Shadow One."

Clancy's "Rainbow Six," "Ghost Recon" and "Splinter Cell" were all monster military strategic video game hits across multiple platforms.

100213_red_october_yt_launch
100213_splinter_cell_yt_launch
1002_tom_clancy_remembering_footer_v2

boo

Another literary master gone. My sincerest condolences to his family friends and fans.

buzz67

I think this guy was a whacko pro Bush, pro gun, republican..

Ozzie X

True visionary, sad to see him go.

Davie Rock

What a tragedy. I'm grateful for all the books Clancy wrote. I wonder if this had anything to do with why he co-wrote his last 4 novels with Grant Blackwood and Mark Greaney.

Yurra Knutz

As other said here... Thanks for the thrill rides Tom!... R.I.P.

nof

Sad day in the literary world.

More like shocking.

He had eleven more IN him !!!

nof

How can you possibly say anything appropriate about a Giant and a Legend -

nof

I'm gonna put T.C.'s picture up in my office -

Remind myself what's actually POSSIBLE in this world.

lilly

was he still in relationship with his last wife? none of the articles I've read says if she was by his side....I found info and pictures of her here it's very weird they don't have pictures together, she was 21 years younger..Rip Tom

Carrie

Do that not do any research for they write these articles? Tom Clancy does not write the Jack Reacher novels. Apparently you don't have to be too intelligent to work at TMZ

nof

99.3 percent of The World...

Leave behind "If Only's," "What If's," "Question Marks."

Then there are the Harrison Ford's, the Steven Spielberg's, the Tom Clancy's.

nof

Each novel Tom wrote took ten years out of his life.

Depleted him.

The-Great-Ones leave behind exclamation points.

Bewildering what T.C. accomplished.

nof

Awesome pic of Ben Affleck, Tom, Morgan Freeman.

Isn't it great that Ben's come back?

That Morgan Freeman's still going so strong?

With something this disturbing - I have to look for the positive and uplifting -

For me it's photo 21 of the 23 offered.

G

Thanks, Obama.

Nancy

Oh no. I loved his books. Thank you, Mr. Clancy.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments