« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

President Obama

Redskins Name is Offensive

... I'd Probably Change It

10/5/2013 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1005_obama_redskins_getty
Congress might be shut down ... but President Barack Obama found time to dive into the debate over the Washington Redskins name -- telling a reporter he would "think about changing" the team name because it offends people.

The Prez was asked about the issues renewed controversy over the past few months ... and proclaimed nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep the name.

Saying if he were team owner ... there'd be serious discussion about changing it.

However, Barack doesn't think fans of the name are being racist -- they're just passionate for team history.

Obama joins a growing movement of people once again pushing for the change -- including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Name change or not ... the Redskins still suck this season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

katie

I HAVE GROWUP WITH THE REDSKIN NEVER FELT IT WAS RACIST AND,AS A MATTER I AM SICK OF HEARING RACISN SINCE THE MARTINS ARE TRAVELING TALKING ABOUT IT I HAVE FELT THAT AT ALLKATIE

SSkeel08

I am Indian and have always thought it to be offensive. They call them the redskins and there logo is a Indian how is that not offensive? Everyone would be up in arms if they called them the n*****s and had a black person as there logo but they're using a racial slur referring to native Americans so that's ok NO that's not how it works. I can't stand Obama but he has a point maybe the only thing he's ever been right about.

Ratings Needed

These are the BIG decisions the former community organizer makes & he's not even qualified to do that!! He shuts down the outdoor War Memorials so the 91 yr. old VETS that make the trip there from their home states which was arranged ahead of time!! The world has to be laughing at him for harrassing 91 yr. old American Vets!!! And...Mt. Rushmore.... I'm surprised he doesn't have sheets covering it...maybe I spoke too soon! He's a laughing stock! He says, on TV he WON'T NEGOCIATE...THEN HE SAYS, on TV, he's WILLING TO NEGOCIATE!! Memory problems? Just like he said he didn't say he drew a red line when it's on video that he did...the only line he draws is a PINK line!!

Alex Clarke

Redskins as an insult is racist.. The NFL teams name has surpassed that, it is iconic around the world as a name for an NFL team not for anything else.

pizzapizza

As President, youndon't need to respond to every f'ing question you are asked.

tomas

Tell that to the Red Mesa Redskins, a Navajo nation high school mascot.

TB

How about we change his to Lenin or Stalin? If the shoe fits.....

wboyer904

Perfect comment FRATZZZ!!!!!
Don't you think there's a ton of things the President of the United States, should be doing, then to put his 2cents in about a name of a Professional Football Team?? Maybe if he can stay away of TV shows and vacations, he could half way do a job we pay for!!!
He seems to only want to screw America!!!
Leave the Redskins alone!!!! If Anyone thinks for a minute that he's good any good for our Country, you don't have a clue!!!! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!

NR Davis

Right on, Mr. President! I have been complaining about racist team names for decades. Glad to hear the Commander in Chief coming down on the side of decency again, as he did for marriage equality.

Out with racism!!!! Out with racists, including WAY too many TMZ readers.

Tweeder

How can a name that no one truly knows the meaning or where it originated be offensive? My great grandma is 100% Cherokee Indian and it's her favorite team, someone is always going to be offended by something can't change that fact. For the 6% of Americans who are offended build a bridge

anthony clay

This coming from the king of racists I am lokota and my skin does have a red hue to it , THIS KING IS NOW SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF NATIVE PEOPLES I have no issue what they call there team

Fred

I find our President offensive we should change it.

vicksux

Why don't u change your address Obama. We are I. Financial crisis and u focus on this?

joecrabs

Still can't give a definitive answer on anything, can you?

fastdriver

KEEP THE NAME! What next? If you live on Pocahontas Lane will it have to be renamed because the Indians find it offensive? This country is NUTS and getting NUTTIER by the minute!