« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

President Obama

Redskins Name is Offensive

... I'd Probably Change It

10/5/2013 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1005_obama_redskins_getty
Congress might be shut down ... but President Barack Obama found time to dive into the debate over the Washington Redskins name -- telling a reporter he would "think about changing" the team name because it offends people.

The Prez was asked about the issues renewed controversy over the past few months ... and proclaimed nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep the name.

Saying if he were team owner ... there'd be serious discussion about changing it.

However, Barack doesn't think fans of the name are being racist -- they're just passionate for team history.

Obama joins a growing movement of people once again pushing for the change -- including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Name change or not ... the Redskins still suck this season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

BB not bb

I've lived in towns that are named after Indian words and I love it. It makes me feel closer to the land. It is a connection that goes back centuries. Why should every remnant and memory of Native Americans be taken away? I feel they allowed other people to move to their land in good faith, and we owe them a debt of gratitude.

marie

You suck TMZ

NOT ELMO

--TAKE THAT ROMNEYSiA AND THE REPUBLiCLOWNS iN CONGRESS-- Who's to blame

Congress
64%
Prez O
36%

Total Votes: 87,120 *Poll Results

Yurra Knutz

You want to see redskin... check out that Cleveland Indian logo... YIKES!!!

liberal racist

it was an ass**hole reporter question

Harvey's Gerbil

Not that I have much respect for Daniel Snyder to begin with, but if he ends up pandering to all of the ultra-liberal pansies out there and changes the name of the Redskins, I'll lose what tiny amount there is left. All these sensitive f@ggots are RUINING the United States.

ragu4u

I think the G.O.P. offered up a name but the prez balked at the sound of ..."Prairie ******s"!

Linda Petrou

Instead of worrying about the name of a football team how about worrying about our country. What kind of a moron are you that closes down memorials, cemeteries, and my favorite, the ocean?

SANDI B.

,,,

Cat

Obama is offensive, can we change him? This guy should concentrate on bringing our country back from the ruins he has created, instead of minding the business of other countries and sports.

Freeon

I'm all for "To the victor goes the spoils" and lets be clear the American "Indians" lost to the settlers, and were slaughtered on top of that, however its Racist. The name needs to change.

Jayla

The Patawomeck, the Pamunkey, the Chickahominy, the Mattaponi and many Cherokee, all of whom hail from areas local to DC, want the name to stay. Snyder is supposed to cower to a tribe from New York? New York has been doing a whole lot of dictating to other states lately, on many different fronts...
Google College of William and Mary mascot and see how outsiders did the same thing there-To a school surrounded by local tribes, that was chartered, in part, to educate local natives-those local natives being supportive of the original mascot.
The only throwback group we need to get rid of are YANKEES.

Elaine

You think with the Government shut down, our fearless leaders priorities should be on that and not the name of a football team, just because people are offended. Too bad for them. We are such a nation of namby pamby wussies and that to me is offensive. What happened to Freedom Of Speech. We are also a nation of colors and you can't change that. I have black people calling me white. I tell them I don't look like a piece of paper and am kind of beige except in the summer when I'm brown. See colors, and we all go by that description all thru our lives.

EnquirerLover

I think the name Barak Hussein Obama is offensive. Reminds me of Mubarak, Sadam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden! And they are all political killers too!
Stfu Obama. You bisexual drug head.

ironica

I'll tell you what's really offensive: this dude's leadership skills.