« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

President Obama

Redskins Name is Offensive

... I'd Probably Change It

10/5/2013 9:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

1005_obama_redskins_getty
Congress might be shut down ... but President Barack Obama found time to dive into the debate over the Washington Redskins name -- telling a reporter he would "think about changing" the team name because it offends people.

The Prez was asked about the issues renewed controversy over the past few months ... and proclaimed nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep the name.

Saying if he were team owner ... there'd be serious discussion about changing it.

However, Barack doesn't think fans of the name are being racist -- they're just passionate for team history.

Obama joins a growing movement of people once again pushing for the change -- including NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Name change or not ... the Redskins still suck this season.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

blockboy970

My mentality is not Martin its Malcolm before the pilgrimage to mecca..that can't we all just get along is a fantasy..furthermore I m black I can't be a racist my history tells me that. Carry on ppl

lastrebel

How about let's force the Dallas Cowboys to change their name first. Weren't Cowboys the ones who slaughtered the Redskins ? That, to me, would be more offensive if we're going to split hairs on political correctness.

buzz67

These racist white pigs are so mad a black man is there president..I laugh every time I go over to my white whores house while her cuckold husband is working.. I eat his food, watch his TV. And have sex with his wife in there bed...isn't america great!!!!!

Ric

Obama, the Micromanager-In-Charge, What a fool!

JP

Hey Barack, since you don't own the team STFU. If you owned the team it would already be bankrupt. Call someone that cares at 1-800-****yo

Marilyn

Let him shut up + go back to his own native country, Kenya.

Vic Creed

It is very offensive, its the equivalent of of putting a white man with a long beard and a straw hat on side of the teams helmet and calling the team the "rednecks"or the "white skins".

indaknow

Lets call them the Washington Half-Breeds.

w

worst president ever..Jay Z called Obama, go hang out with him or something and get out of the white house.

LightJ

Not going to make any political comments but honestly I really f**ckin hate politically correct people! F**ck you!! You ruin everything! There is NOTHING wrong with the name, it has been there for years and you are ruining it's history. No one is being a racist and no one would have even thought about it, had you stfu and stop b**tching in the first place! Pieces of sh**t.

Karla

As always the media hard at work asking the really tough questions that really matter to what is going on in the Country. Any word if his favorite food or song have changed................

Woot

For white people who want to look inside...

WHITE PRIVILEGE: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack

Tessa

I'd like to change the name of the president to ANYTHING but Obama.

TedFrunk2

Get over it. There's like six indians left and they don't care.

static

Since Putin solved the Syrian problem for him I guess that freed up more time for him to address more important issues like sports team names.