« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

2-Year-Old Son Attacked

Police Investigating

10/11/2013 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-01
update_bar
10:16 AM PT -- Multiple sources tell TMZ ... Peterson's son is currently on life support and hasn't had brain activity since 5:30 PM last night.

We're told the family is monitoring the situation closely, and if there is no improvement in 24 hours, the mother wants to remove life support and donate the boy's organs to people in need.

10:00 AM PT --
Adrian Peterson's father has confirmed ... the injured boy is, in fact, Adrian's son ... but it's NOT Adrian Peterson Jr.

The Pioneer Press spoke with Nelson Peterson ... who says, "All I can say is, we are asking for prayers and for respect for our family as we deal with this tragic situation."

8:41 AM PT --
Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation tell TMZ ... the injured child is Adrian's son, but it's not Adrian Peterson Jr., the child he's been famously photographed with in public over the years.

We reached out to Peterson's reps -- but so far, we have not heard back.

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson
's 2-year-old son is currently in critical condition in a South Dakota hospital ... after he was allegedly severely beaten by the man dating the mother of his child, TMZ has learned.

The Minnesota Vikings running back immediately left his team to be with his son.

Officials tell us they've arrested the suspect, 27-year-old Joseph Patterson ... who's been charged with aggravated felony assault and battery of an infant.

According to law enforcement, emergency responders arrived to the apartment where Peterson's son was living at 5:46 PM on Wednesday ... and found the child unresponsive.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital and medical experts determined the injuries were consistent with abuse.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... the child suffered severe head injuries.

The suspect, Joseph Patterson, appeared in court just moments ago ... the judge set his bond at $750,000.  Patterson tried desperately to shield his face from the cameras.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sarah

What a sick piece of ****. I hope and pray for that poor innocent baby. No child deserves to be hurt ever.
I hope that s*** gets everything he deserves.

BlackStallion

Oh hell no! There is never, NEVER EVER a reason to attack, hurt or hit a child or animal. NEVER!!!! If this were my son, I would KILL THIS BASTARD or hire someone to do it for me. You don't do anything to a child whether yours or someone else's. How I was brought up, if you hurt a child or animal, you need to be beaten so bad you beg for mercy. I hope this piece of **** has a beating beyond coming to him.

BlackStallion

Oh hell no!!! There is never, NEVER

tess

uhh where was the mother before the beatings got too severe

Teddy Ballgame

I live in VT. We take pieces of **** like that out to the back 40, never to be seen again. Oh I forgot, we have to try him, convict him, incarcerate him and take care of him for the rest of his life. Are you f'ing kidding me?

Your mom

Are you serious plz plz leave this child abuser alone in a room with the babies father for 10 mins!!

anony

"the man dating the mother of his child" Two year old son. Obviously, he wasn't with her that long. These athletes are SO stupid.
I would honestly counsel some of them to get a vasectomy right when they turn pro. If not sooner.

strunz2318

How do you beat a 2-year old? How does the mother let someone like that into her home? Unbelievable. He will be severely beaten in prison.

Laurie

WTF, that is terrible, what is wrong with people?

TheTruth

They should put the suspect in a room with Adrian for about 5 minutes. I think justice would be served.

ike iteogu

i would kill that *******, who hits a kid ?

Uokon

Awww... My prayers goes to AP. We love you bro from mn. And all these women dating these abusive bastards. I mean common! 2 years old. How can he really provoke someone and mean it!!! That son of a bitch deserves to die!

Lily Daisy

My heart and prayers go out to that little one for a full recovery, and that there is real justice for the little boy's family.

heather

Let Adrian have that man for 1 minute in a private room. He'll get what he deserves

liberalchild804

let's be real though. Adrian is the one who is clearly at fault. we praise pro athletes an excuse them for not being present and their children's lives. he chose pursuing a career over being there for his son... chances are if he were more responsible this incident never would have occurred