« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

2-Year-Old Son Attacked

Police Investigating

10/11/2013 12:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-01
update_bar
10:16 AM PT -- Multiple sources tell TMZ ... Peterson's son is currently on life support and hasn't had brain activity since 5:30 PM last night.

We're told the family is monitoring the situation closely, and if there is no improvement in 24 hours, the mother wants to remove life support and donate the boy's organs to people in need.

10:00 AM PT --
Adrian Peterson's father has confirmed ... the injured boy is, in fact, Adrian's son ... but it's NOT Adrian Peterson Jr.

The Pioneer Press spoke with Nelson Peterson ... who says, "All I can say is, we are asking for prayers and for respect for our family as we deal with this tragic situation."

8:41 AM PT --
Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation tell TMZ ... the injured child is Adrian's son, but it's not Adrian Peterson Jr., the child he's been famously photographed with in public over the years.

We reached out to Peterson's reps -- but so far, we have not heard back.

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson
's 2-year-old son is currently in critical condition in a South Dakota hospital ... after he was allegedly severely beaten by the man dating the mother of his child, TMZ has learned.

The Minnesota Vikings running back immediately left his team to be with his son.

Officials tell us they've arrested the suspect, 27-year-old Joseph Patterson ... who's been charged with aggravated felony assault and battery of an infant.

According to law enforcement, emergency responders arrived to the apartment where Peterson's son was living at 5:46 PM on Wednesday ... and found the child unresponsive.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital and medical experts determined the injuries were consistent with abuse.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... the child suffered severe head injuries.

The suspect, Joseph Patterson, appeared in court just moments ago ... the judge set his bond at $750,000.  Patterson tried desperately to shield his face from the cameras.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Paula

WTF!!!! Who in the world attacks a toddler!!!!

RealityBites

Sending prayers to Mr Peterson and his precious child. Sadly boyfriends of mothers do this all to often. Hope this POS gets the crap beat out of him in jail because he sure doesn't want AP to get a hold of him.

mommyt22

I'll never understand why mothers choose to stay in an abusive relationship to which harm not to come to them but the child as well....

MikeClovis

Put this perp in a room alone with A.P. for 5 minutes and save the world from further problems by this guy.

immamamma

Wow. I am speechless. I don't understand how somebody could harm a child. My prayers go out to the family. I hope the little boy will be okay.

Me

How horribly sad. Many, many prayers going out for this little one.

notguilty95

All humans do that we as hetero have a hard wired system to reproduce as any male in any species. The penis is shaped the way it is to extract old spern and intro new. We are fertile for life to insure life and breeding with multiple partners. Its a moral choice not a default. Very few species mate and stay with just one mate. We are only doing what some would say instinct. Knowledge is power my young small minded friend

boo boo

Chills down my spine upon reading this. Praying for that family and looking forward to hugging my kid after school.

shelley

My exhusband and I split when my son was only a year old. people ask me all the time why I don't date and it's because of BS like this!

Too many sickos in the world and children of single mothers have something like a 30% chance of being abused!! Too high a risk for me.

No way some d*ck like this guy going to do that to my child. I guarantee it wouldn't be my son in the hospital!!!

notguilty95

Sorry that was meant for william...

blackroseMD1

AP should get a half hour alone in a room with the guy that did this.

Ron Fing Swanson

This is the kind of creep the death sentence was invented for.

Just Me

Poor little baby. Will pray for a Recovery. I hope they let dad and boyfriend bond a little at the jail...I'm sure dad can give him the same love he have his baby.

blockboy970

Tmz no talk about the tea party republicans holding the country hostage an there aproval ratings.

Hell's Belle

It takes a real POS to do this to child. SMH...