« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

who farted

I'm so sick of hearing about these desperate horny women dating men who go and beat, abuse and molest their kids so the women can have a warm body at night. Disgsting!!!

nof

At the age of two your chances of being murdered?

Should be low.

But put a two year old around one stress case or a PAIR of stress cases?

He's got about a one in eight chance to survive.

I lived through beatings like this at the age of two - so did a brother who later said f-it.

A.P. is going to receive enough bad attention.

So me I just say a prayer knowing the kid's in a better place -

Brings me back to my own beatings, though, that's fo-sure certain.

Where you're almost HOPING they land a fatal blow.

Put YOU out of THEIR misery.

nof

What kind of person/people beat a child?

Broken ones.

Mine were high school drop-outs, truants.

Partyers.

verlinda

Condolences to the Family...R.I.P.

Keane

"The mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need."

It shouldn't be her decision to make. Her child is dead because she exposed him to a child murdering monster. If I was Adrian Peterson I wouldn't even let her attend the funeral.

Lina

I'm just disgusted by anyone who could beat an innocent child. I hope this son of a bitch gets the death penalty... no, wait, scratch that; I hope he is sentenced to life in prison, with frequent abuse from fellow inmates who still wouldn't stoop to abusing and killing children, themselves.

I DON'T GIVE A F

My heart goes out to that little boy... I was abused by step "parents" on both sides after my parents divorced... People, please be careful who you let care for your children. Real talk.

dd

Arrest the mother too, she knew her boyfriend was violent!

Sue

Sorry not understanding how you just "go on" and play Sunday when your son just died in the most brutal way. I can see how much he really cared. And the mother to say hey just take him off support and donate. I just say WTF. Maybe this child is much better off with God.

onefeather

The mother should be in jail also, to have the child around someone like that she is just as guilty

Theresa

STILL A FREAKING A$$HOLE JERK FOR SAYING HE WAS GOING TO PLAY FOOTBALL BEFORE HIS SON DIED !!!

elle

South Dakota DOES allow the death penalty - no doubt this b@stard will be sentenced to death. In my opinion the mother deserves the same.

To AP - everyone here in Minnesota supports you & feels your pain. Please take whatever time you need for yourself & your family.

shewentwhoa

Poor little baby. Heaven gained a sweet angel.

valerie singh

My thoughts and prayers go out to Adrian Peterson and the family. I cannot understand how a 2yr. old boy deserves that kind of abuse. No child deserves any physical abuse. Joseph Patterson deserves the harshest of penelties.

Bammbina

There is a special place in H-E-double hockey sticks for a man that murders a defenseless two year old. RIP sweet little angel. And to the a-hole that did this may your fellow inmates show you the same mercy you did on that poor little baby. AKA NO mercy!!