« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

The New Improved Sock Puppet

How can anyone put their hands on a baby in anger? I hope that killer is in general population with the entire prison population waiting to greet him and bash his skull in.

hoosier

What a senseless tragedy

Me Too

Horrible situation, but before anyone wonders about Peterson, it should be known that he never knew this child. This child was a result of a casual encounter he had with a woman a few years ago- they were never boyfriend/girlfriend, engaged, or married. It is not even clear that he ever saw the child before Thursday, because he was only recently told that he was the father. As sad and horrible as this is, he really doesn't have a huge emotional attachment to the child. I hope he at least attends the funeral- this child deserves to be recognized.

BigSamStewart

This sorry excuse for a mother deserves to be lynched just as much as the s***bag who killed this poor child.

HARDY-HAR-HAR

Adrian, please - take the week off to mourn the loss of your baby.

shelley

This literally makes me want to cry. It's so horrible that some sicko would beat a baby like that

Kelly

The ball player shows great restraint by not filleting the mother with a rusty blade.

Bill

R.I.P. Little man.

darkshadow

I hate people that hurts kids and animals. I just hope and pray one day we can in my lifetime, see an eye for an eye reprieve. Beat a child to death, you get beat to death. Steal, cut off your hand. leave an animal outside tied to a tree with no food or water, tie you up with no food or water. ****ER.

Denese

Death sentence for Patterson. The bully couldn't take on someone his own size, could he. If the mom knew of Patterson's abusive nature, she should be jailed for compliance!

Mari

This is just heart wrenching. My sincere condolences to Adrian and the entire family. I'm sure I speak for the entire Green Bay Packer nation.

Lori Kepley

God Bless Adrian and his family, what kind of man beats a child to death? NFL family and fans of the Minnesota Vikings our prayers are also with you what a hard thing for anyone to have to ear...the loss of a child~ May there be Justice for the baby, and peace for the family and friends~ God Bless you all! Prayers from North Carolina~

Lori Kepley

God Bless Adrian and his family, and the Minnesota Vikings this is really sad, what kind of man eats another mans child to death..the world is saddened over this loss!

bittybaby

Very very sad. My deepest sympathy to all who loved the little boy. xoxoxo

Demi

This is revolting. I am baffled.