« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Dies From Injuries

10/11/2013 8:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

1011-adrian-peterson-02

update_bar
3:00 PM PDT:
Peterson just sent a series of Tweets: "God Bless everyone and thank u so much. The NFL is a fraternity of brothers and I am thankful for the tweets, phone calls and text messages from my fellow players. Thank you to my family, my fans and fans of other teams for their support."

gray-bar-update

Adrian Peterson's 2-year-old son has died ... cops have confirmed.

Cops believe Peterson's son was severely beaten by 27-year-old Joseph Patterson, the man who was dating the mother of the NFL star's child.

As we reported, the mother of the child has decided to donate the child's organs to people in need.

The boy was on life support since 5:30 PM Thursday ... but his condition never improved ... so family members made the decision to take the child off the ventilator.

Sources tell TMZ .. Adrian was informed about the situation before the news went public.

We're told Peterson will be planning the funeral with other members of the boy's family.

Patterson was initially arrested in Sioux Falls, South Dakota for assault and battery of an infant -- and now, it's almost certain the charges will be elevated to murder.

The details surrounding the beating are unclear -- but cops say medical responders were called to the apartment where the child was living on Wednesday evening ... and he was unresponsive when help arrived.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sips

How could you possibly do that to a two year old that's terrible that man better stay locked up in protective custody I'm assuming being an NFL player his father probably knows a few people

christy

so very sad and so very wrong. Condolences to all.

Big Daddy

I can guarantee you that this piece of garbage won't make it a month in jail...he's already dead!

tmz addict

women are cool and men are the stupidest thing ever

Judy

I am sooo sick of reading in the news about a child being beaten by a boyfriend, what the hell is wrong with you women, are you so lonely and hard up for a male that you put your child's life in danger, I say the Moms who leave their child and that child is hurt, the Mom needs to be charged as an accessory if her child is beaten or worse, maybe toy will think twice about leaving your baby with just anyone!!

Larc

Put Patterson in with the general population in prison and make sure the other prisoners know exactly what he did. They will take it from there.

Leah

This brought tears to my eyes. No child should ever, ever, EVER have to go through any kind of abuse, especially traumatic injuries that result in death. This sweet little boy...my heart aches.

Elicious

RIP little one. My condolences to AP and all his family. One question -- where was the mother when this was going on?

Shawn

Just go ahead and torture that man for what he did to that little boy. No child deserves that.

alia

Rest in peace sweet baby boy! The only good thing about this is you are out of danger, fear, and pain, and in the arms of the Lord.

I would like to know his mother couldn't see signs of abuse going on with her baby.

She will have to carry this guilt with her the rest of her life. She wasn't there to PROTECT her baby and he had to die that gruesome, painful death brought on by a man she chose to bring into their lives. Her irresponsible parenting cost her child his life!

As far as the piece of trash - monster that did this to this sweet innocent child, you will pay the price in jail....they don't like child abuser there.

Our country is too lenient on these s***bags....why should we pay tax dollars to feed & house this s***? This is where you wish they would bring back hanging or beheading! so sick to even think about, but this is just outrageous to the point it makes you think horrible things like that!

RIP sweet baby.....

EricsGirl

This is absolutely HEART-WRENCHING. That this happens to any child - celebrity or not - is so unacceptable. I don't know the cir***stances of whether there were any signs of abuse, but this just underscores how important it is to protect your children at all costs. I pray this little guys rests in the arms of his Creator and the man who did this rots in jail until his time comes.

Mary Harding

That is so sad I feel so bad didn't know it till I looked on my email my heart goes out to him ,Rest in peace Baby boyand my prayers are withAdrian and his family

Deborah Vierra

I think it's f***ed up that in less than 24 hours the plug was pulled...didn't even give him a chance for some kind of miracle... I hope they can live with that.. I certainly could not.. I mean why the hurry to end his life..??

meee

Perhaps it's just me, but sudden news like this one, in my opinion everyone has such a cold mind, like it was someone else's kid. "We'll be donating his organs". Seems kind of planned. A mother who just lost his 2-year-old in a matter of hours decides just like that to donate his organs? Adrian's reactions are cold too. I'd be devastated, not understanding anything. Your son just died a tragic death, how can you even stand?

Nancy

Oh my god, how terrible! How, just how could anyone ever harm an sweet innocent child? I just can't even imagine anybody that heartless.
I am so sorry for the loss of this child. Sending lots of prayers to the family.