'Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins

Gene Simmons is an Idiot

Cobain and Winehouse are Icons

10/12/2013 9:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

101213_taylor_hawkins_launch
Gene Simmons disputing Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse's icon status is nuts ... so says Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, who tells us it doesn't matter how many albums both made.

In case you missed it, Gene told Team Rock Radio this month that Cobain and Winehouse were only considered icons because they died young ... not because of their music.

But Hawkins -- whose been in Foo with Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl for years -- was fired up about the topic ... telling TMZ Gene's opinion is "nonsense."

So we gotta ask ...

NiceGuy

Uhmmm not a gene Simmons follower but he's right on it. Icons are people of the following:
1-John Lennon-Died minding his own buisness.El
2-Elvis Presley-His music makes him an icon,BUT he should of taken care of himself.
3-Jim Croce,Buddy Holly,Richie Valens-All these guys wanted to do is take a plane and go home.Look what hapened.
4-Ricky Nelson,Few members of Lynard Synard, Otis Redding-ill fated plane ride to their next gig that never made it.
Ok so you see these are the icons,not those 2 mentioned that were set out for sucidal tendecies and succeeding.

Jordan

Two celebrity So Called Icons, that did not want to live anymore. They did not want to make music they did not want to raise their child in one case, two people that did not care anymore ICONS NOT REALLY.

Jordan

Kurt Cobain was NOT AN ICON he was nothing more than a GUTLESS COWARD!!!!!!!!

number1beliebergojustingo!!

they were both crackheads, get over it

Spartan100

James Dean featured in only three movies. Who out there would say that he is not an icon? Last time I checked, the definition of 'icon' did not include a requisite volume of work.

AtlasM.

Winehouse had potential...sure. Nirvana was indeed iconic. He was comparing them to artists and bands like The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix saying to be iconic you have to release multiple albums, not just 1 or 2. Adding you can't be considered 'iconic' just because you died. Mind you Hendrix, Winehouse and Cobain all passed at the same age of 27. He should do some research. Hendrix released 3 studio albums and another he recorded with the Gypsies. Nirvana released 3. He should also look up the meaning of iconic. Nirvana was a trendsetter in the music industry with a sound no one had heard before. Their songs still covered today. His entire comment sounded like a whinny child rooting for his childhood favorites. I know of many artists who have recorded multiple albums who are completely irrelevant in the music world. Ridiculous.

SoWhat

Have to agree with Gene. They were new and gained some popularity and maybe if they kept it up for decades then they could be considered "Icons" but they didn't have that, they had some popularity.
By this morons thinking anyone and everyone making music would be considered "Icons" which is just ridiculous.

Ken

TMZ, why do you continue to put words in people's mouths? He didn't use the word 'idiot' at all!!! You're the idiots who have no journalist integrity whatsoever! Sad.

BB not bb

I think it is a matter of personal taste. Cobain sings like he has marbles in his mouth, as he was shown in the Weird Al spoof. Amy just had a short career singing about being an addict. If that is iconic for you, then okay. For an old style rock and roller, that is maybe not along the same lines,

Jon

Kurt Cobain = Icon
Amy Winehouse = Not an icon

nick van capelleveen

gene is absolutly right.

KellyS

His full comment was a comparison to other artists such as the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. Stating that they were icons because of the multitude of albums they produced. Following it up with a comment about Nirvana and Winehouse releasing 1-2 albums and saying that's not enough and you can't be an icon just because you died young. Odd considering Jimi Hendrix died at 27, same age as Winehouse and Cobain. Odd because (I'll leave out Amy because I agree that she COULD have been iconic) Hendrix produced 3 in studio albums and one he recorded with The Gypsies. Nirvana recorded and released 3. Not only do I think he is favoring his upbringing and what was big at the time but also I believe he is completely unaware of what the word ICONIC actually means. They were trendsetters of a sound not yet heard that people are still rocking out to today. Even Miley Cyrus did a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit. SIMMONS is an idiot for that statement. His reasoning specifically in regards to the amount of albums produced. I know of artists who have recorded several and are completely irrelevant.

Wheelz

Maybe Winehouse but Cobain is horribly overrated

grindsmygears3301

I will just say as a musician, I have to agree with Gene (this time). Neither Kurt or Amy capture my attention on the level that The Beatles/Hendrix do. Nor do I enjoy a greater percentage of Nirvana's/Winehouse's catalog as I do with The Beatles/Hendrix. That said, I do have respect for KISS' early albums (as well as "Revenge"), but by similar criteria as above...... The Foo Fighters have a higher percentage of good music in their catalog. Honestly while KISS inspired me to become a musician, they have watered down what could've been an awesome catalog. Following trends that they should've left alone. Just my opinions!

jane

I think Simmons is right, I do not care much for him, Cyrus must have loved his tongue look ! lol anyway I still wish the foo fighters would let Cobain stay where ever he is, anyone can say I am a poo poo and do not compare anyone to Eddy Vedder. He knew how he wanted to sound, and it was not like Nirvana

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments